DrivePool not filling new empty disks immediately?

shovenose

Question

Hi all, I'm using DrivePool on Windows 7 64-bit. I started copying files to the DrivePool drive, then decided I needed more space, so I added another drive. Unfortunately, while it added succesfully, DrivePool continued adding data to the existing drives that were already being filled up. I decided to try something... I deleted all the data off all the drives, and then I copied files back into the pool, and now it started filling all the drives more evenly, including the drive I added.

My concern is, tonight I'm adding another drive... 6TB, which is a bigger drive than I currently have in the pool (several 4TB, a 3TB, a bunch of 2TB, and a pathetic 500GB) and I want it to immediately start filling that disk... but I'm afraid it won't. Will it do that? Is it even supposed to do that? I'm not clear on that because I'm new to the DrivePool concept, although I have plenty of experience with hardware RAID, Linux software RAID (mdadm and ZFS) along with Windows Storage Spaces.

Thank you for your input and this seems like a great product. I might move my primary NAS from Storage Spaces to DrivePool eventually. I do wish that there was a parity function built in, though I have read other posts on this forum regarding that and how it's perhaps outside of the scope of this product (and people have made their own solution with SnapRAID+DrivePool or whatever)...

2 answers to this question

So when you add a 6TB HDD to that setup, and assuming you have not tinkered with the balancing settings, any _new_ files would be stored on that 6TB HDD indeed. A rebalancing pass, which you can start manually, will fill it up as well. With default settings, DP will try to ensure that each disk has the same amount of free space. It would therefore write to the 6TB first until 4TB is fee. Then equally to the 6TB and 4TB until both have 3TB free etc. The 500GB HDD will see action only when the others have 500GB or less available.

This is at default settings and without duplication.

6 hours ago, Umfriend said:

So when you add a 6TB HDD to that setup, and assuming you have not tinkered with the balancing settings, any _new_ files would be stored on that 6TB HDD indeed. A rebalancing pass, which you can start manually, will fill it up as well. With default settings, DP will try to ensure that each disk has the same amount of free space. It would therefore write to the 6TB first until 4TB is fee. Then equally to the 6TB and 4TB until both have 3TB free etc. The 500GB HDD will see action only when the others have 500GB or less available.

This is at default settings and without duplication.

Thanks, I added my drive yesterday and it seems to be working perfectly.