Disk not seen

PoolBoy

Question

I have USB-3 disk attached. Windows 10 sees the disk and can use the disk.
DrivePool does not see the disk, so I can't use it in my new pool.
It does show up and is used in another pool.
Why is that?

I have a internal disk that shows up in 'This PC'. I can use that disk without zero problems. It has a drive letter.
It shows up in DrivePool but is flagged as "This is an unallocated disk" It has no drive letter.

Weird, so I went to Administrative Tools ... Disk Management.
Both disks mentioned above show up in that window. Both with correct size and drive letter.

EDIT #1
The fixed disk is 6TB. Windows shows it as 5.45TB. That's good.
Windows also shows the disk is nearly full (243GB free)
If I simply count all files on that disk with 'properties' all files add up 3.75TB
I know there always is some overhead (partly used sectors) but that much?
1.7TB /31% overhead?

EDIT #2
I just noticed that I used a pooled disk as one of the disks to build a new pool.
That's not what I want so I'll remove it from the pool when the DrivePool is done with buiding the new pool.
Could that cause all/some of the problems mentioned above?

Edited by PoolBoy
Added some information

9 answers to this question

Will add screenprints when I'm back home. But I doubt they reveal anything.
My file manager (directory Opus) does show hidden files/folders. It also shows folder size, that doesn't add up either.
Very weird. Hopefully it's just because PoolDisk is doing something with it somehow.

The 6TB drive is now showing the correct amount full. No idea what was going on. I made so many changes last week I can't even speculated.

I still have a problem with the external USB-3 disk.

It shows up in Windows. It's part of a pool. The disk works without the slightest problem.

Right now I'm trying to create another pool, the USB disk isn't shown in the list with available disks.
What is causing that?
Another disk that's part of a pool does show up, so disks can be used is multiple pools.

I had some similar issues with disks not showing up in the list and had a mix of issues (migrating from another pooling software):

1. Most of the disks not showing up were MBR format, which for some reason didn't show up on DrivePool.  Converted them to GPT by deleting the partition, converting to GPT, then creating a new partition.  Those disks then showed up.

2. For some reason, one of my disks had no space allocated to the partition.  Did the same as 1, but just needed to delete and recreate the partition (it was already GPT).  That one then showed up.

The disks were mixed between an LSI card and USB controllers, but now after fixing them above, they all show up and are in DrivePool now without issue.

Edit: Scratch 1.  I had a disk I had that was already GPT but was not showing up to add to the pool.  Doing number 2 restored it, even though the partition was fine and I had been using the disk independently prior.

I actually ran into an issue with a disk not showing up to add to the pool, but in this case the disk was already GPT and I had just been using it.  

The real fix for me then was to delete the partition then re-create it.  That's what got all of my disks to show up for selection.