Jump to content
Covecube Inc.
  • 0
Eatingpattern

Drives hidden "PoolPart.xxx" folder changed names?

Question

Hello!  I purchased the suite of software about 6mo ago and everything has been great!  This last week however, I went to run my regular snapraid backup, and it couldn't find the expected path for one of the PoolPart folders that had always been present on that particular drive.  The drive letter didn't change or anything.  As you can see from the attached pic (the left side of the window shows current folder name, and the right shows what it's always been previously), I've got 14 drives in the pool, and all of them have the same PoolPart names they've always had, but if you look at Drive K:, it's a completely new naming convention now.  Any ideas what may have happened?  Is this normal?  I did actually replace this drive along with the one next to it (L:), however I didn't notice this behavior in with the 2nd drive.  Unfortunately I hadn't run a backup for several weeks so I couldn't for sure blame it on the drive replacement and it was odd that it was only one of the two drives...  DrivePool appears to be content and operating so should I just point SnapRaid at the new path and carry on?  Thanks for any insight on this one!

 

 

Drivepool prob.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
16 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

That's .... very odd.

Well, maybe.  If you replaced the disk, then StableBit DrivePool will want to give it a new, random block, and not the old name. 

So, this may very well be normal. 

Lol, thanks for the confirmation on my diagnosis of "Odd".  I haven't noticed any other problems in the last couple days, so I'll just change my path in Snapraid to the new directory and start backing it up.  Just wanted to ensure that this wasn't a warning sign of a problem that anyone was familiar with.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I can confirm that this happened to me as well. When I detected that a symbolic link pointing into a hidden PoolPart Folder didn't work anymore, it turned out that the hidden folder had been renamed. I’m not aware of anything unusual that might have caused this (no drive replacement or something similar). However, as the pool and everything else worked fine, I didn’t pay much attention to the issue (just replaced the link). I only know that the DrivePool version was 2.2.2.934 at that time (meanwhile I’m using 2.2.3.950).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

In my case it must have happened far more than 7 days ago. I detected it by chance about 10 days ago, when I checked the log file of a daily Duplicati backup job. It had error entries for the symbolic link, which pointed into the hidden PoolPart folder. The one-month log history shows that the link must have been already broken since at least Nov. 12th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...