Add network drives to pool

rogercoutts

Question

I know i cant add network drives to the pool and I have to use ISCSI or cloud drive with smb shares. My server currently has no more room to add drives but I have a second server I can use. My question is which solution would be better to use both servers with drive pool. Both servers are running server 2016 so ISCSI is an option i'm just not sure if cloud drive would make it simpler.

4 answers to this question

Using the File Share option in Cloud Drive is relatively simple.  Point it to a network path and give it authentication info.  You can create whatever size volume you need on that share and add it directly to the Pool.

https://stablebit.com/Support/CloudDrive/Manual?Section=File Share

Due to CloudDrive's flexible volume parameters and local caching, I would personally prefer it for this over a static iSCSI volume share.  Though ultimately, the iSCSI volume added directly to the pool would be faster.

Great, good luck with it.  If you find Cloud Drive slower than you need, either increase the local cache size, or switch to a direct iSCSI share added to the pool and re-test the speed.  It's just a question of flexibility with Cloud Drive vs raw speed with the iSCSI volume at that point.