Show utilisation in task manager

The_Saver

Question

Hello,

I was wondering why I cannot see the utilisation in task manager with how much activity is on my drive both in terms of read/write transfer and also the active time in percentage.

It works just fine for all my disks that are on the drive, but the one DrivePool creates contains no transfer and active time. Note that is also says that it is 2 TB in task manager which is only a fraction of my total capacity.

image.png.12c950318e850eca7850c9ecfae5a0e0.png

3 answers to this question

Windows reporting the Drivepool drive as 2TB is totally normal, and you can safely ignore it.

Resource Monitor / Task Manager can't track a Drivepool drive's activity for some reason (perhaps due to the virtual disk driver).  I noticed that as well some time ago on my W7 media server.  If you want to see pool activity/throughput stats, you'll need to open Drivepool's UI and watch the performance there.  Unless of course, Christopher/Alex have some wizardry they can whip out for us..

It would be nice if the Drivepool drive was trackable by resource monitor, but that might also incur performance degradation.

The 2TB size is an artifact of how the driver works.  If you open Disk Management, you'll see it show both the 2TB size (below) and the correct size (above). 

As for the performance counters, there was a reason, but I don't remember it, right now. 

But the Task Manager isn't a great place to check activity.  The "Active Time" chart (top) is inaccurate and very misleading.  It's an average over 60 seconds. So 1B/s and 100MB/s could both be 100%. 
The "Disk transfer rate" is more accurate, but isn't the whole story, either.  Disk Queue Length is more important than actual speed, I'd argue. 
But ... for the most part, what you see on the other disks should be just as good, as that's essentially what you'll be seeing from the pool (since most of the access is basically just forwarded to the underlying disks) 

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27869

Well, you can click the above link, for the response, but for ease: 

It actually does, but the virtual disk that StableBit DrivePool spawns does not service any pool I/O. All pooling is done on the filesystem level before reaching the virtual disk. Think of it this way, all I/O targeted at the pool is redirected at the pool part drives before reaching our virtual disk.

The virtual disk itself is a proper block-based device, and you can read from it, but you will find that it's simply an empty GPT drive.

For StableBit CloudDrive, where we store the actual on-disk data, the emulated disk will show proper performance statistics when working with data on the volume.

Basically, because of how the driver works, Windows itself is what doesn't register the activity, basically.