High download when I should only be uploading?

swassglass

Question

I set up CloudDrive and mapped it to my unlimited Google Drive. I've been playing around with it for the past week and have some questions. Before I back up all of my Linux ISOs (with encryption on) I started with just my main PC backup and Plex Metadata.

I am copying this content over via a Robocopy script from my PC to the CloudDrive. I am only copying about 200gb of data, but my internet usage shows I have used 8x that over the week. When I look at CloudDrive it shows a lot of data downloading. I am confused why anything would be downloading to my PC if I am just uploading copies from my PC to the CloudDrive.

I originally had my cache set to 10GB, but lowered it to 1GB. I thought this may have been causing the extra data usage, but I am still getting almost constant download. I am not reading anything from the drive. 

Am I not understanding how CloudDrive works? At this time I would like to upload a few TB worth of data and don't have any intent to download this data for use unless I have a drive failure. I have not messed with any of the advanced settings.

2 Comments

5 answers to this question

Do you have upload verification enabled on the drive? 
If so, it will re-download data, after uploading it, to ensure that it uploaded properly. 

Also... as you use the drive, it reads information from the disk.  Directory information, file information, etc.  
Increasing your cache size may reduce the load.    Reducing the cache size will actually cause it to download more data. 

On 6/2/2018 at 3:13 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

That should help.  If it doesn't, let me know.

Update: this seems to have helped. I changed the cache to 100GB and it isn't constantly downloading now. I'm a noob and thought if the cache was small it would only download just enough to fill it, I didn't think it would constantly be deleting/refilling. With 100GB cache I am only using like 1/3rd of it currently.