Best way to protect from file corruption

rogercoutts

Question

Just wondering what the best way is to reduce the chance of file corruption. I've got over 100,000 photos (yes wife is camera happy) and I've noticed I will every now and then find a couple that have gotten corrupt. I'm in the process of converting my pool to refs but im not sure if this is the way to go. I've seen some people use SS in mirror then use drivepool for the pooling so they get the self healing of refs. What is the best recommendation?

I'm using server 2016 with 17 drives and have 4 converted to refs and dont seem to have the memory leak issue. I also run a couple workstation VMs off the pool.

5 answers to this question

ReFS doesn't protect files by default. There is a command you MUST run on each drive to enable this. 

From powershell, run "Set-FileIntegrity -FileName X:" on each drive, IIRC.

As for protecting it... run a read pass of the drive periodically. Shamelessly: this is what the Surface scan in StableBit Scanner does, actually.

Also, a checksum of the files isn't a bad idea, either. And there are various software solutions that will do that.  For instance:
http://corz.org/windows/software/checksum/

I did run the command as I convert the drives. I'm just wondering is there any point converting to refs or am I better off sticking with ntfs for now? This whole thing started because I every now and then get a warning about bad sectors on random drives but they seem to be logical bad sectors as zeroing the drive fixes it and the smart data returns to normal. Maybe im over thinking this and being paranoid.