Dedicated drives for duplicate data

KRiSX

Question

Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before but I wasn't able to find an answer. I've just setup DrivePool using 23 drives ranging from 3tb to 6tb. Everything appears to be going well, however I'm trying to add an 8tb archive drive to purely store duplicate copies of some folders.

Is this possible? I would have thought the Drive Usage Limiter balancer would do it, but it appears not.

My 8tb drive was the last drive I added to the pool and I then enabled duplication on the folders I wanted it on. The folder I want to duplicate is approx 5.3tb, which would obviously fit on the 8tb drive, however it appears to have spread this out over multiple drives, which isn't what I was hoping for.

Is it possible for me to achieve this or no?

Thanks in advance, loving the product and considering buying a second copy for my gaming pc to pool my SSD's together (currently trying it now and it seems to be working very well).

PS. attached screenshots show my setup and what its currently doing

post-7221-0-00909900-1499670793_thumb.png

post-7221-0-59148000-1499670797_thumb.png

2 answers to this question

Chris would know but I don't think this is easily done if at all possible. You *might* consider creating 2nd Pool for duplicated data only and it would have to be, I would think, a hierarchic Pool e.g.

Pool A - Not duplicated, say 3 3TB HDDs

Pool B - Not duplicated, the 8TB HDD, and

Pool C - Duplicated, consisting of Pool A and Pool B.

You might be able to get what you want with file pacement rules but I never understood those well and believe them to be evil ;)

Duplication doesn't differentiate "original" from "copy".  Both copies of the file are "viable" and either can be used interchangeably. 

So enabling "duplication" for only one disk via the Drive Usage Limiter balancer won't work.  Multiple disks need to be used. 

That said... based on the images .... well, what you want happening ... has actually occurred.  

Specifically, StableBit DrivePool places new files on the disk with the most available free space.  that means that the 8TB drive would be used first, if it was empty and the other drives were not.   

But it shows duplication on the other drives, because the duplicated data resides on that drive *and* the other drives (one copy is on that drive, one copy is on the other drive).