scanner running in background, but not really…?

edgedbyzero

Question

Let me start with a question that might make the whole issue irrelevant: For Scanner to do its chores in a specified timeframe, does the application itself have to be open in that timeframe? If not, read further.

I will try to be as detailed as possible.

Main issue is disks aren't being scanned if the application itself isn't open (if I don't see it in task bar) The timeframe I set is between 03:00 and 11:00. If the application is open and I change the timeframe to be within the hour at that moment, then a scan stars, but I don't want to scan while using the computer.

I know there has to be a service open for things to work properly when the app is closed, when I open Task Manager the only thing I see with Scanner in it is Scanner.Notifications.exe * 32. Might the service be stopped/failing? I have also found ScannerService under Windows Services, and restarted the service. It also appears under Service in Task Manager, but nothing else in processes. Before I restarted it though, it was marked as "started" and set to start automatically. I think this is not the issue after all..?

I will specify my settings:

Start/Stop Automatically is enabled.

Timeframe is 03:00-11:00 unless disk scans are past by 14 days

Wake up to scan enabled

Do not scan atuomatically when running on battery power enabled

SMART

Do not query if spun down is checked

Scanner

Prevent sleep while scanning is checked, among most other options.

4 answers to this question

Scanner runs as a service and is set to auto start - so assuming it is not having issues on your machine - then its up and about all the time the machine is on

click run and type "services.msc" it will bring up the list of services on your pc - you can then scroll down to the Stablebit - services - ah i see you have found that

If you dont see the scan process actually doing something - i would guess it does not need to - it will depend on your settings - if the disks have been scanned in the last two weeks its not going to do anything between 3-11 - no need to run a full check of your disks everyday - just the smart to see if the disk is reporting anything etc etc 

Thanks for your reply spider.

If you dont see the scan process actually doing something - i would guess it does not need to - it will depend on your settings - if the disks have been scanned in the last two weeks its not going to do anything between 3-11 - no need to run a full check of your disks everyday - just the smart to see if the disk is reporting anything etc etc 

That's the thing, Scanner is showing that the most RECENTLY scanned disk was scanned more than 60 days ago, and the other two are sitting at over 200 days. I have included all configs and if I understand them correctly, it actually should scan!

No, the app doesn't have to be open. 

StableBit Scanner installs and run three processes. 

• Scanner.Service.exe
  • Scanner.Notifications.exe
  • Scanner.UI.exe

The first is the background service that is running all the time. Even before you log into the system.  This controls pretty much everything, from monitoring the SMART data, to scanning the drives.  

The Second is the tray notification icon. This is what creates popups when there are issues. 

The Third is the actual app that you interact with. This connects to the background service, grabs the info and displays everything to you.  If that's not running, you'll actually get an error about this, (Or a "Connecting to service" screen instead).

So, you should never *need* to have the UI open for things to happen. 

As long as the service is running, everything should be working. 

As for scanning, check the toolbar in the UI, and make sure the "Start / Stop Automatically" button in the toolbar is highlighted.