Cloud Drive and Amazon Cloud Drive

BinaryData

Question

Hey Covecube!

Been awhile since I've been on here last. I've had a 10TB Pool from ACD for quite some time now, I haven't really used it much. The other day I started to copy a back up of my Drives there. When I looked at the Amazon Cloud Drive WebUI, it shows a load of 1MB and 2MB files in a chunk. So, my question is; how in gods name do I restore it or re-download the entire file to another PC or back to the storage cluster?

Also, is there a way to turn off this chunk uploading, and make it a handful of chunks? Does CD encrypt or compress the data at all?

Cheers,

Data

P.S. Christopher, I broke my 36 Bay. PSU Blew up and it sort've caught fire. 8x8TB Drives gone. Thus the backing up. :(

4 answers to this question

StableBit CloudDrive stores the raw disk data on the provider, in these chunks.  It then pieces them together "on the fly" and stores them in the cache, so you can access them.

You have to use our software to mount the drive, but then it can read the disk data and get access to your data.  So yes, you are "locked" to our software.  But the upside is that it's obfuscated at least, and can be securely encrypted. 

However, no compression occurs. 

tl;dr:  Install StableBit CloudDrive on the system, and connect to your account. The software then reads these chunks and rebuilds your drive.

P.S. Christopher, I broke my 36 Bay. PSU Blew up and it sort've caught fire. 8x8TB Drives gone. Thus the backing up. :(

Well, shit. I'm sorry to hear that. Also, that's a bit scary.  And by a bit, I mean very. Electrical fires are not laughing matter! 

And I'm sorry to hear about the fried drives, as well. 

The point of clouddrive is the chunk system. Just mount your drive in clouddrive and you should be able to download.

Everything is encrypted if you selected such during creation

I believe I did.

StableBit CloudDrive stores the raw disk data on the provider, in these chunks.  It then pieces them together "on the fly" and stores them in the cache, so you can access them.

You have to use our software to mount the drive, but then it can read the disk data and get access to your data.  So yes, you are "locked" to our software.  But the upside is that it's obfuscated at least, and can be securely encrypted. 

However, no compression occurs. 

tl;dr:  Install StableBit CloudDrive on the system, and connect to your account. The software then reads these chunks and rebuilds your drive.

Well, shit. I'm sorry to hear that. Also, that's a bit scary.  And by a bit, I mean very. Electrical fires are not laughing matter! 

And I'm sorry to hear about the fried drives, as well. 

Alright. Well, I'm moving my large storage to a linux software raid, while I'm leaving my desktop with StableBit Software. I've had a few disks go, and no alerts happened. Just noticed I lost a metric ton of data, thankfully, it's replicated across a few different storage arrays. Friend of mine has 1.4PB of raw storage, and I rent space from him.

@Christopher

Yeah. It was scarier than all hell. Both the PSUs popped, looked like someone shoved an M80 in there. It had been running fine for a few weeks while I stress tested it. The hard drives are covered by warranty, however I'm more salty about the brand new SAS2 backplane I just put in it. That's fried like a friggin' piece of bacon.

Once I get my new PC built, I'll migrate everything again. It'll be a month before Seagate sends me new drives, they want to do some research on them to see what exactly happened, and if it's preventable. Future reference, don't buy used PSUs. Gotta buy a new PDU too, there goes my Raritan 48Port High Density PDU :(