Restarting Computer in Middle of Duplication to Cloud Drive

feerlessleadr

Question

First of all, I just want to say thanks for this awesome software. I have set up a cloud drive with google drive, and am currently in the process of having my data duplicated onto the cloud drive. My challenge/question is that I'm going to need to restart my computer (need to move it), and I'm no where near done duplicating and/or uploading to the cloud drive. 

If I have to do a force restart, will the drive pool pickup where it left off when the computer restarts (with both duplication and upload to the cloud drive)? Do I have to worry about any data integrity issues?

Thanks

6 answers to this question

No issues what so ever.  

The duplication (and balancing) process is designed to handle reboots and sudden power loss gracefully. Specifically, we append "copytemp" to the file, and then rename it once it's completed. This way, we can cancel the copy if needed without messing up things, or if the system crashes or what not, there are no partially complete files to worry about. 

As for StableBit CloudDrive, the cache holds all of the "to upload" files, and handles reboots fine.  However, because we must make sure everything is flushed to disk before rebooting, the shutdown process may take a while longer. 

(Heck, one of out tests for data consistency is to power cycle the system while it's still running, simulating a BSOD or sudden power loss). 

Thanks for the response. I've run into a problem however, and I'm not sure if Drivepool or clouddrive is the culprit. I had to restart my computer (hence my previous question), and when it restarted, the duplication in drivepool was halted, and the Pool orginzation bar is yellow with the message 'duplication inconsistent'.

I currently have my pool set to duplicate all of my files into my cloud drive, and was in the process of doing that when I restarted. Now, the previously duplicated data in my cloud drive is showing up as 'Other' in the Pool stats, whereas previously it was showing up as 'Duplicated'. I've tried remeasuring, restarting, disabling and re-enabling duplication, and nothing had seemed to fix the problem. The pool is no longer duplicating my data into the cloud drive (as drive pool is reporting a lot of unduplicated data, and cloud drive is no longer uploading any data). See attached for a screenshot of my pool, as well as my cloud drive.

Any ideas how I can get the duplication and upload to my cloud drive restarted again? Please let me know if there is any logs or anything that I should upload. Thanks

post-2526-0-89551600-1467668204_thumb.png

post-2526-0-03341200-1467668208_thumb.png

Thanks - I was re-reading some older threads to make sure that I had my pool set up correctly to duplicate my local drives only to my cloud drive, and to no local drives.

At first, I followed the directions from this post:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1248-using-a-cloud-drive-and-no-other-for-duplicates/?p=8529

That seemed to be working, but as I mentioned above, it seemed to fail after I rebooted my computer (I've installed the latest beta you linked, so I'm starting from scratch now). However, as I mentioned, I was reading the earlier posts in that linked thread, it lead me to this thread:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1231-how-do-i-keep-duplicated-data-on-the-pool-but-other-copies-anywhere-else/

This seems to be giving 2 different wants to duplicate data to the cloud. 

So for my own sanity, what would be the best way to duplicate all of my local media on just my cloud drive?

So for my own sanity, what would be the best way to duplicate all of my local media on just my cloud drive?

Using the 'Drive Usage Limiter" would be the best way.  

Uncheck "duplicated data" for every disk but the CloudDrive disk.  This will force the duplicated data on that drive, and since there is not a second (required) valid target, it will use the other disks, as needed.