"Access is denied" error while trying to remove a drive, first time I've ever seen this error

billyboy12

Question

I've been using DrivePool for many years, and I've re-arranged my pool many times. But I'm struggling to remove one of my disks, I keep getting a "error removing drive" message, and when clicking "details" it says "access is denied". I've tried all kinds of things, like checking "force-close any files" and using  the drive usage limiter and setting the problem drive to not have anything stored on it, but nothing works!

One thing I have noticed, is the error always pops up at the same point. If I do a balance, so the drive fills up again, then try to remove it, it'll go so far, before throwing up the error. At this point, trying again will throw up the error right away. Looking under "disk activity" it seems to be accessing 2 desktop.ini files, and I've tried removing these files, but this didn't help.

4 answers to this question

It's possible a file or folder on that drive has corrupted NTFS permissions (see this thread - it includes fixes).

When you used the drive usage limiter to evacuate the drive, were there any of your files remaining inside that drive's poolpart? Because if it at least cleared out all of your files from the drive, you could then manually "remove" the drive by renaming its poolpart and then Removing the now-"missing" drive.

I've checked the advanced permissions for the pool as well as the hidden poolpart folder on the problem drive, they look just like the ones in your example images in your linked thread. So does this mean my NTFS permissions are OK?

When you used the drive usage limiter to evacuate the drive, were there any of your files remaining inside that drive's poolpart? Because if it at least cleared out all of your files from the drive, you could then manually "remove" the drive by renaming its poolpart and then Removing the now-"missing" drive.

Nothing happened! I clicked "balance" and it ran for a few seconds then stopped!

*EDIT* Seem it was a permission issue in the end! I followed the guide at https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5510455 and this fixed it, I was able to remove the drive!

It means Windows at least thinks that they're ok; running the fixes would ensure that they actually are ok.

3 hours ago, billyboy12 said:

Nothing happened! I clicked "balance" and it ran for a few seconds then stopped!

Stopped as in completed without error but didn't move anything? Might need to adjust the plugin's priority and/or the Balancing settings so that the limiter correctly applies?

On 4/19/2024 at 5:02 PM, billyboy12 said:

*EDIT* Seem it was a permission issue in the end! I followed the guide at https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5510455 and this fixed it, I was able to remove the drive!

If this was the case, then it may be that the "SYSTEM" account permissions were changed or corrupted.  This accound should have full control on the pool.  This is the account that the service runs in, and uses for accessing the pool for balancing, duplication and drive removal.  

The "forced damage drive removal" option should skip problem files and continue with the removal, though.