DrivePool Service making constant disk access

pezku

Question

Hi,

I'm having a problem with Drivepool that it is for some reason accessing all drives in the system constantly every 5 seconds. This happens to all drives whether they are part of a pool or not.

Here is Scanner showing the problem:

post-972-0-00918200-1451220089_thumb.png

Performance column shows about 4KB/s disk activity every fifth second for every drive. (Only D:, G:, J: are part of a pool at the moment).

Windows task manager shows this also:

post-972-0-70246000-1451220089_thumb.png

Note regular spikes in disk transfer rate.

And a view from Process Explorer clearly showing Drivepool creating the constant IO:

post-972-0-61390900-1451220086_thumb.png

Problem is that this prevents any disk from spinning down in the system. Only ways I have found so far to stop drivepool from "harassing" the drives is to make disk offline, or if there is no formatted partition on a disk. Removing mount point or drive letter from a NTFS drive doesn't stop the activity.

And yes, stopping DrivePoolService from task manager stops the disk access and allows drives to spin down. I've also tried to stop every other non-windows process and service to see if it could be something else accessing the pool, but no change to the behavior.

Running latest beta 2.2.0.659 on Win10 x64.

Any ideas are welcome.

The drives that were being kept alive were all 8 drives in my drivepool pool.  In exactly the same way they were being read from for a half second every 3 seconds at 8.3 KB/s (it was always exactly the same in task manager).  I realized looking at task manager that my cloud drive build with your stablebit clouddrive had exactly the same behavior in task manager.  When i killed the service that drive dissapeared (of course) and all of the other 8 drives stopped their regular reads and started acting normal.  I don't understand why cloud drive would be interacting with these drives at all...the cache for cloud drive is on my main ssd which is not one of the drives in question and the cloud drive is not a member of my drivepool.

Detaching the drives did not help..when they were reattached they started the behavior again.  I have not yet rebooted my computer since disabling cloud drive

Talking with Alex, this is the "bitLocker" detection stuff that is causing this. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Advanced_Settings#BitLocker

Set "BitLocker_CloudPartUnlockDetect" to "False" and reboot.

Looks like it is clouddrive for me too. I also tried the bitlocker setting to false but didnt' work. Unless i made a mistake.

cPewyJI.png

I attached a photo to show how it stopped.

Heres the bitlocker config.

3Eu9DHJ.png

Which has the bitlocker set to False.

rBAFJV8.png

Since i don't current or actively use Clouddrive ill just keep the service off.

Looks like it is clouddrive for me too. I also tried the bitlocker setting to false but didnt' work. Unless i made a mistake.

I attached a photo to show how it stopped.

Heres the bitlocker config.

Which has the bitlocker set to False.

Since i don't current or actively use Clouddrive ill just keep the service off.

Make sure that you do this for both StableBit DrivePool and StableBit CloudDrive.  

you've posted images for StableBit DrivePool, and that should help with it.  But definitely make sure that you do this with StableBit CloudDrive as well. 

And make sure you're throttling SMART queries in StableBit Scanner. 

Okay first i'm the same person as mcrommert2 :)  finally got my correct account found 

So the cloud drive turning off bitlocker fixed my issue.  Apologies for not getting back sooner to report my changes.  Seems to no longer do the constant checks on all of the 8 drives in my drivepool

Thank you so much for the quick responses...have used many pieces of software from smaller vendors but have never gotten this level of customer service on forums.  Thank you so much and keep making great products :)

Okay first i'm the same person as mcrommert2 :)  finally got my correct account found 

So the cloud drive turning off bitlocker fixed my issue.  Apologies for not getting back sooner to report my changes.  Seems to no longer do the constant checks on all of the 8 drives in my drivepool

Thank you so much for the quick responses...have used many pieces of software from smaller vendors but have never gotten this level of customer service on forums.  Thank you so much and keep making great products :)

I'm glad to hear it! 

And thank you for the kind words!