Disk missing

pettakos

Question

My pool consists of 9 drives. One of them, a Seagate 8TB, went missing all of a sudden today upon switching on the pc. There is only an nvme boot drive in the system. Nothing changed since last night. I assigned the drive a letter under windows disk management, drive is recognized, run both hd sentinel and seatools diagnostic tools, nothing's wrong with the drive. Tried to restart Stablebit drivepool service, nothing happened. The drive is still missing. Please, find attached screenshots of what the pool interface states that the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, in windows explorer when activating hidden files/folders option, the hidden poolpart is not visible. Running wiztree64 all data is there  P:\PoolPart.1cc21105-cd95-4eed-aadf-3852342f52df.Missingdiskpool.thumb.jpg.04c0924cf16e143f5dde0e29ff0fd15d.jpgpoolwarnings.jpg.bb2c7951ada2c42b78af70c151cb1277.jpg

3 answers to this question

I can see the "missing" disk in the list of non-pooled disks so I would normally guess the metadata that basically says "this disk has a poolpart X that belongs to pool Y" was somehow corrupted; seeing as the poolpart folder is also not showing up in Explorer with show hidden files activated and I notice there seems to be two $RECYCLE.BIN root folders being shown in WizTree my suspicion is the filesystem corruption on that disk is more extensive than just that.

If the "missing" disk contains only fully backed/duplicated data, then given the other file system issues on that disk I would format that disk and if that completes okay then "Remove" the "missing" disk from the pool and re-add it from the list of non-pooled disks so that DrivePool can rebuild the poolpart from duplication / you can restore from backup.

If however the "missing" disk contains non-duplicated non-backed data that you wish to recover, then I would see if you can use WizTree to copy your data out of the poolpart folder to a temporary location on a good disk before formatting/removing/adding as above, and then copying the saved data back into the pool after checking it's okay (maybe run a content comparison check between the pool and the saved data).

Regarding the duplication warning, that would be referencing a different disk (as the "missing" disk isn't currently part of the pool) even if the problem may stem from the same original issue that made the disk go "missing", so would need to be tackled separately.