Unable to change duplication settings - file/directory corrupted

beatle

Question

I'm attempting to make some changes on my pool on a Win11 machine (two NVMe partitions, separate drives) and I'm running into this error every time I try to enable or disable duplication on a folder.  The pool seems to be behaving itself and duplicating data in folders where I have it set, but I am not sure why I am getting this error.  All the underlying drives are healthy, I've rebooted, disabled Windows antivirus, disabled read striping, and disabled realtime duplication.  Not sure what the problem is.

image.png.39e20fafbea1f754c0894e37941f9cd5.png

4 answers to this question

It could be the folder metadata (permissions, alternate streams, etc) have been corrupted on one or both of the drives; Windows won't necessarily pick that up. As a quick attempt at a workaround, I would try moving the folder's content into a new folder and if that works, see if you can turn on duplication for the new folder. If you can, the issue is with the old folder itself and you could just delete the old folder and rename the new one with the old one's name. If you can't, then the issue is likely a subfolder or file within the folder, which you could narrow down.

If you don't already have a backup of your pool, I'd recommend making one and then seeing if a chkdsk /scan /v reveals anything (if you haven't already tried that).

Given it's not even working on a new empty folder I don't know what else to try; if you don't want to recreate the pool just yet (whether by manually moving the content in the poolparts or restoring from backup), I'd suggest contacting StableBit so they can troubleshoot it.

This pool is mostly used as a Steam library, and anything not Steam related is already backed up.  Would not be a problem to redownload the library, just kind of a pain.  Chkdsk /scan /v doesn't work on the pool drive since it's considered raw, but no errors were found on either of the underlying drives.