M1015 or M1115 dual link to SAS expander RES2SV240 working?

propergol

Question

14 answers to this question

I have both cards, but I'm not using it in a dual link configuration. I could test it out, but it's not exactly in an easy spot to get at.

However, unless I'm mistaken, each port/cable is 4x 6gbps links. That's enough to run 24 drives at ~120MB/s without any issues. And that's assuming there isn't some sort of link aggregation for the single connection (as it is 4 lanes per connector). Unless you're chaining additional expanders off this card, I'm not sure it would be necessary.

Thanks.

Don't waste time checking : I will receive the expander in the next days and so I will test it.

You are probably right however, cabling from the expander to HDs and SSDs could do a nicer job in my small case.

I will check what is the best option after receiving the expander.

Please, definitely do check, and let me know what you find.

Also, a good way to max out the bus speed... use StableBit Scanner's Burst test option (right click on a drive).  This runs the drive a higher speed than the disk is capable, but maxes out the bus.  It's great for testing for connectivity issues, but doing this on multiple drives may be a good way to test the controller link.

And Expander Cards make for excellent cable management. 

While I was experimenting with Scanner Burst test, I did noticed some strange behavior with 2 SSDs pluged into M1115 : reported burst speed is no more than 305MB/s and 296MB/s  :wacko:

So I jumped on my benchmark directory and made some RW speed test on both SSDs : 

Results are much higher than Scanner Burst test.

Both SSDs score virtualy the same :

930738asssdbenchATASanDiskSDSS0510201512

371753ATASanDiskSDSSDXPSSCSIDiskDevice24

631992atto.png

904016burst.png

On a third SSD, that is system SSD and plugged into Intel mobo port, the burst speed reported by Scanner is higher : 500MB/s

SSDs on M1115 are reported as SATA rev 3.1, SSD on Intel is reported as SATA rev 3.0

Burst test on HD RED 4To plugged onto M1115 = 466MB/s  :blink:

I have both cards, but I'm not using it in a dual link configuration. I could test it out, but it's not exactly in an easy spot to get at.

However, unless I'm mistaken, each port/cable is 4x 6gbps links. That's enough to run 24 drives at ~120MB/s without any issues. And that's assuming there isn't some sort of link aggregation for the single connection (as it is 4 lanes per connector). Unless you're chaining additional expanders off this card, I'm not sure it would be necessary.

+1

IMHO dual-Link is mainly for creating redundant paths, not link aggregation.

I did run a RES2CV240 with a M1015 (flashed to HBA, 9211-8i)) and connected as dual link ...it works, but there is no benefit is speed when using spinning disks, as Drashna already pointed out the reasons....I did not have the resources to test with SSDs at that time.

The dual-link config would be to run two HBAs for redundancy...

I did some tests with SSD and it doesnt help with "slow" queue read/write.

I did have nearly the same results with one or 2 links.

SSDs plugged into Intel's SATA 3 ports always give better results than SSD plugged onto M1115 or M1015 or to the expander :

SSD on expander :

537023avecexpanderjustereu1liens.png

On Intel's motherboard port :

721151intel240pro.png

I did some tests with SSD and it doesnt help with "slow" queue read/write.

I did have nearly the same results with one or 2 links.

SSDs plugged into Intel's SATA 3 ports always give better results than SSD plugged onto M1115 or M1015 or to the expander :

So, basically no difference.  Do you have multiple SSDs?  If so, ... well, to properly test... you'd need 7+ that can run at about 500MB/s (for the sequential).  6 and change to saturate one connection, and then a seventh or more to exceed.  If you have that many and can test them all at the same time (running a surface scan or chkdsk or a full format), that would be the real test.  (otherwise, it's closer to 30+ HDDS).

Only. :)

(I'm looking forward to 3.5" form factor SSDs with 10+TBs :) )

That said, I'm not surprised. For the most part, unless you have a lot of SSDs on the controller, it shouldn't make a difference either way. The single cable is enough to handle ... well, 6 without bottlenecking.