Ordered File Placement Balancer Not Working Real Time

Scuro

Question

I've noticed recently that the file placement balancer no longer seems to be working.
Everything is going to the drive with the most free space (default balance behavior).
I tried resetting all settings to default but I still get the same results.

Ordered file placement is at the top but set as "only control new file placement".
This is my balancing settings.
Auto balancing is disabled because I use SnapRAID.
image.png.6ed47740dc11dbf626abc82bd19d34b2.pngimage.thumb.png.4389937209b1d4c9e35e208dd4a935e2.png

I also tried with all balancers unchecked except ordered file placement.
Same result.

If I turn on "file placement rules respect real-time file placement limits" it works but the placement now ignores my "file placement" rules that tell some data to not got on parity drives.

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Shane said:

If you've got a catch-all (i.e. "*") in your File Placement rules, remove that?

Regarding SnapRAID, I don't recommend adding parity drives to a pool. Parity drives should be dedicated to providing parity.

I have lots of file placement rules but nothing with a wildcard.
My parity drives are much larger than my other disks. I like to take advantage of this and store non array data there (data like redundant backups).

Sorry I guess I do have wildcard file placement rules but I've verified that none of them are restricting placement of my test files that are going to the wrong disk.
I'm unsure of the exact date this started happening but it was within the last three months or so.
I tried downloading the latest beta, same issues.
I uninstalled all balancer plugins as well as ran a drivepool repair (reinstall).

Edit: I've also verified that no matter what balance I use, it does not work unless I check "file placement rules respect real-time file placment limits set by the balancing plug-ins".
However, if I select this, my file placement rules are ignored.

Edit2: Disabling all file placement rules still results with the files not going to the correct drive order listed in "ordered file placement"

Note that if "File placement rules respect real-time file placement limits set by the balancing plug-ins" is not checked then any file that triggers a File Placement rule - even if the rule just says "this can go to any disk" - will be ignored by OFP.

Given your 2nd edit however, it looks like Ordered File Placement isn't working properly. I'd recommend opening a support ticket with StableBit.