Scanner SMART Check Predicting Imminent Failure but All Attributes Are Normal

haec0007

Question

I have received a notification from Scanner that S.M.A.R.T. check is predicting imminent failure for one of my disks. However, when I clicked into the S.M.A.R.T. health details, all attributes had green checkmarks--none were flagged as an issue. I checked CrystalDiskInfo, which did not report any issues either. I then removed the disk in question and then reinserted it. At this point the warning cleared and Scanner reported the disk as "healthy."

A few days later I got the same warning of imminent disk failure for the same disk. Just as before, no issues were flagged in the S.M.A.R.T. health details, and CrystalDiskInfo still reported the the disk as "Good." I powered off and on the disk, the warning cleared again, and Scanner has been reporting it as healthy ever since.

Is this buggy behavior, or should I be concerned that my disk is failing?

1 answer to this question

Based on my own experiences, neither. Likely it means the drive's own firmware found something wrong (thus the S.M.A.R.T. flag) and then dealt with the problem itself, it's just that Scanner noticed the warning inbetween detection and resolution.

You might find further info in the logs (C:\ProgramData\StableBit Scanner\Service\Logs), or if you enable Scanner's email notifications and it happens again the email would mention which particular S.M.A.R.T. warning/error occurred.

As I use both duplication and nightly backups I'd just double-check that those are on and wouldn't worry about it; I'd only consider replacing the drive if the issue kept happening (more) often or became a permanent error rather than a temporary warning. YMMV.