Something on my server got corrupted, now....

hansolo77

Question

I can't seem to do anything.  I appear to be completely locked out of all of my system tools (like Device Manager).  They say they are in READ-ONLY mode because I'm connected remotely.  That's never been a problem before, but now it's doing that.  I've even tried direct computer access with the network cable disconnected.  It looks like some how my server NAME was corrupted.  When I access Device Manager, it says the computer name is Server.  However, I called it CEREBRO when I installed the OS.  If I right click on My Computer in the START menu, and go to properties, I can access Device Manager from there just fine, and it shows the computer there as CEREBRO.  But if I right click My Computer and choose Manage, it has everything locked out.  Apparently it is attempting to connect to the local system THROUGH a remote connection.  I have no way to correct this.  When I open the Dashboard to try to do a system restore, it tells me that there are folders missing, and lists ALL of them, however they are connected and showing up just fine when I go through Explorer.  Because they're being reported as missing in the Dashboard, the option to do a server restore from previous backup is disabled, because the service is not running.  The service isn't running because it has detected there are folders missing.  ARGH!! 

So the only solution I'm going to have available to me now is to do a complete wipe and reinstall.

This shouldn't be a problem, now that I've figured out how to do it.  I'm going to just simply unplug every single SATA drive except the OS drive.  Let it do it's thing, and reinstall everything.  The problem I'm afraid of doing, is when I go to start rebuilding the DrivePool.  I'm pretty sure it's documented that the software will automatically detect the pool and act like nothing changed.  However, I'm very, VERY concerned it won't be that simple.  The biggest threat I'm afraid of losing is my 10+ years of backed up TV Shows I'm watching.  The smaller stuff, like Photos, etc, I can easily move elsewhere.

What is the exact process I need to take to ensure I don't lose any data in my storage pool after reinstalling Windows? 

5 answers to this question