What in the world have I messed up on my balancers?

JTScribe

Question

4 answers to this question

Sorry, I'm stumped. Your settings look like they should be resulting in an even distribution. Is there anything active at all in the File Placement tab, or lower down in the Balancers tab? Is "Balancers -> SSD Optimizer -> Ordered placement -> Duplicated" unticked?

Does changing to "Equalize by the free space remaining" have a better result?

17 hours ago, Shane said:

Sorry, I'm stumped. Your settings look like they should be resulting in an even distribution. Is there anything active at all in the File Placement tab, or lower down in the Balancers tab? Is "Balancers -> SSD Optimizer -> Ordered placement -> Duplicated" unticked?

Does changing to "Equalize by the free space remaining" have a better result?

Both duplicated and unduplicated are unticked. Changing the toggle between equalize by free space did shift things around a little.

image.thumb.png.b2188479311344f1530a2ef901bc991e.png

4 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Setting the balancing ratio to 100% may help.

But to be blunt, the SSD Optimizer and the Disk Space Equalizer balancer are at odds.   The Disk Space Equalizer wants to fill every drive, equally, but the SSD Optimizer wants to clear out several of the drives. 

Is there a best practice to use SSD optimizer and keep things balanced on the archive drives? Should I stripe the SSDs in Windows, maybe?

If you want to use the SSD Optimizer and use the rest of the pool,  the "simplest" option may be to use hierarchical pools.  Eg, add the SSD/NVMe drives to a pool, add the hard drives to another pool,   and then add both of these pools to a pool.  Enable the SSD optimizer on the "pool of pools", and then enable the balancers you want on the sub-pools.