Questions on functionality

sbcd

Question

Hello,

With Stablebit CloudDrive, is it possible to share the same "cloudDrive" across two different computers?

Say I  create a new CloudDrive that is 100G in size hosted on Amazon Cloud Drive and make it the H: drive on my laptop. Can I install the Stablebit software on my desktop and map that same CloudDrive to it so I can copy data to/from the same cloud drive?

If yes, can both computers be powered on and access the drive at the same time? Are there any special instructions to make this happen?

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

As Carlo said. 

Specifically because we store raw data chunks of the drive on the Cloud Provider. 

Since these are basically like blocks on the drive, you don't want two sources writing to the same blocks at the same time. This can and will cause corruption.  The same can go for reading.... (though maybe we should have a mount as read only option....)

Apps like NetDrive read the contents from the provider, and don't use a pseudo proprietary format, like we do. 

As Carlo said. 

Specifically because we store raw data chunks of the drive on the Cloud Provider. 

Since these are basically like blocks on the drive, you don't want two sources writing to the same blocks at the same time. This can and will cause corruption.  The same can go for reading.... (though maybe we should have a mount as read only option....)

Apps like NetDrive read the contents from the provider, and don't use a pseudo proprietary format, like we do. 

A Mount as read only option would be awesome i +1 this feature!

A Mount as read only option would be awesome i +1 this feature!

Noted.

I feel like this could be achieved with a simple share.

Instead of CloudDrive? Maybe, but it would require rewriting the entire driver for user mode instead of kernel mode, and taking a hit in performance and compatibility to do so.  (and before you ask, the Service is what handles the data transfer in CloudDrive, and it is in "user space"). 

Noted.

Instead of CloudDrive? Maybe, but it would require rewriting the entire driver for user mode instead of kernel mode, and taking a hit in performance and compatibility to do so.  (and before you ask, the Service is what handles the data transfer in CloudDrive, and it is in "user space"). 

I haven't tested this but i assumed i would be able to do a Windows Share of whatever drive DrivePool is and then access it from another computer.