Scanner Sent a SMART warning email and a tray notification, but drive shows all green with no warnings in the UI?

blunderdome

Question

Just got the following email regarding my server:

One or more disks are suspect:

• CT4000MX500SSD1 - 1 warnings
    • There is currently 1 unstable sector on the hard disk. An unstable sector is a sector that can't be read. The drive will automatically swap the bad sector for a good one whenever new data is written to it, however, the original data may be lost.

Hopped on the server and there's a tray notification that says the same thing.  However, when I open StableBit scanner the drive in question has its status listed as "Healthy".  When I expand the drive info, all sectors are green and SMART health shows green checks across the board.  Current pending sector count, reallocation event count, and uncorrectable sector counts are all sitting at 0.  Other than the tray notification (which disappeared when I clicked on it), I can't find the warning in the interface anywhere.

Edit:  CrystalDiskInfo is showing the same info on the drive - no errors and no pending/reallocated/uncorrectable sectors.

Was this notification a false positive or am I just missing something?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

So I did some more research and it turns out this is a known issue with the MX500 drives:

https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comments/niqvdk/current_pending_sector_is_1_should_i_be_worried/

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/79358-keep-getting-current-pending-sector-is-1-warnings-solved/

https://www.hdsentinel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=12514

From what I'm seeing, it's a firmware bug that's been around for years.  I'm just using the drive as Plex storage, so I'm choosing to ignore the warning.  I doubt at this point that any data was actually affected but I can't say that for certain.

Quoting from the description for current pending sector counts in Scanner, "If an unstable sector is subsequently written or read successfully, this value is decreased and the sector is not remapped."

So I'd guess that between Scanner detecting the event and you opening it, the drive has been able to successfully re-read the sector on its own and taken it off the list.

Just got another email, this time two unstable sectors.  Hopped on the server within an hour and again...nothing.  Drive shows green across the board for SMART info in both CDI and StableBit. The scan I ran this morning from within StableBit shows no errors found and all sectors green.

Are there logs or something I can look at to get more insight as to what's going on here?  If the drive is truly having issues, it's a fairly new SSD that I should be able to get replaced under warranty.  Likewise, if StableBit is misreporting issues I'd like to know that as well.