New Drive Added But Not Being Balanced To

Parallax Abstraction

Question

Hey all.

I've been using DrivePool happily for years. I have a pool with a number of WD Red drives in it and DrivePool's been keeping it balanced automatically, including recently when one of my 4TB drives failed. I recently upgraded my main machine to all SSDs and took a 4TB WD Black out of that machine and added it to my pool. Some new data I write to the pool is ending up on that drive, but it seems to be completely ignoring it in terms of balancing rules, which are all largely just set at their defaults. I'm on the newly released update for the tool. Does anyone have any potential thoughts?

Thanks!

vncviewer_efLVRLHkRZ.png

1 answer to this question

If it's largely set at defaults, I've noticed it doesn't usually try to get the distribution across drives "perfect" just simply "good enough"? Attempting a "perfect" distribution can mean more inter-drive movement which means more activity/wear.

In your case this might in part be due to the emptying limit on the Prevent Drive Overfill balancer? If that's enabled and involved, lowering the emptying limit might allow it to shift more data around.