DrivePool + Snap Raid. 1 Failed Disk and All PoolPart folders missing.

Cory

Question

Hi all, I have SnapRaid set up with drivepool. My snapraid is as follows:

disk d0 J:\PoolPart.0d5f9394-b13e-44bd-908f-37f55a976715
disk d1 K:\PoolPart.a4a16d2c-819c-45e7-bead-4f1568d5fbbf
disk d2 L:\PoolPart.1c63d67b-3966-40f5-b622-0870a8d11be9
parity M:\SnapRAID.parity

These are all pooled in Drivepool to a single drive letter (V). Drivepool is not doing any data duplication between them.

Overnight, the J:\ (d0) drive failed. I was alerted to this by Drivepool alerting the disk was missing. I removed it and installed  a new drive and attempted to repair the array with snapraid's fix commands. However, I found that the drivepool is totally gone, and I cannot see any files on any of the good drives in the pool, K and L. However, those disks still show that the space is used.

image.png.80ac8df7980c5df00ac422c940aa4d2f.pngimage.thumb.png.08e59233ec504b144597eda9f6081385.png

I have tried everything I can think of, making sure hidden files are shown, etc. but am unable to find or see any of the files and restore my drives. Hoping someone has some help or suggestions. I will provide whatever additional information I am able to. 
Thanks

2 answers to this question

Oh, ouch. "Same used space" + "pool folders missing" usually means a corrupted file system. With both K and L missing their poolparts I'd suggest a memory test and if possible a controller test too; was the drivepool gone before or after you tried snapraid's fix commands?

If you don't already have a backup of the pool elsewhere and need the data within, I'd also suggest making a raw disk image of those remaining drives (K, L, M), maybe on a different machine, before seeing if disk recovery software can restore it.

For anyone coming to this later with a similar issue. I have no idea what caused this to occur, but am very very thankful that chkdsk /r /x on each disk was able to put the files/folders back where they belong.

snapraid fix is running now and rebuilding the original failed drive from parity.