WS 2012 R2 Essentials Boot Drive Back Up

Snorf

Question

I am firing up a new server WS2012R2E (retiring WHSv1), and I was wondering what everyone else is doing to back up the main boot drive for the server.  My configuration will be an SSD for the main boot drive and then pooled drives with DrivePool.  I would like to be able to have some sort of backup/image or something backing up the WS2012R2E installation, so if and when the boot drive fails I just stick in a new one and put the image or whatever on and I am good to go instead of having to do a complete re-install and set up all the users and vpn and everything again.

Any and all comments appreciated.  I did try the search function but did not find much (probably my fault), so links to topics where this has been already discussed would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Snorf

7 answers to this question

Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials features "Windows Server Backup" as part of the OS. In fact, it gives you warnings if you don't set up a backup (or ignore it).

This is designed to create incremental system backups for restoring the system.

I use this to back up the system disks (and a couple of other critical disks, such as my HyperV stuff). 

I've used it more than a few times to restore my system when .... I've messed things up. :P

The nice thing is that it runs daily, by default, and you can run it a couple of times per day if you want as well.

The downside, is that you'd want to use a dedicated HDD for this (and one that is 1.5x the capacity of the disks you want to backup, as recommended by Microsoft).

Also, Veeam has a free backup software that will work on it, and allow you to do restores, as well.

Hey thanks for the reply.  I will check it out.  I have 2 other issues though now:

1.  I want to copy all my files from WHSv1 to 2012R2E and I can't connect to R2E with WHSv1 so no idea other than copy all to usb drives and then copy again.  R2E can't connect to WHSv1 either........

2.  My ISP blocks Port 80 and 443 unless I go on a business plan and I really wanted RWA to work.

Any suggestions now on the above 2 new problems would be a great help.

Thanks in advance!

Snorf

1. Change the Workgroup of your WHSv1 machine to match the domain name (eg mydomain.local, then use "mydomain") of the Server 2012R2 Essentials system. 

This should help with visibility.

Otherwise, try using the IP address (eg, \\192.168.1.1\) 

Are you trying ti migrate the data over, or copy it over. If you're just trying to migrate, then check out this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5463715

(this is meant for WHS2011 but very much applies to Server Essentials).

2. You can add additional "bindings" to IIS, to use additional ports (such as 8080 and 8443).

However, you'd have to use "http://mydomain.com:8080" or "https://mydomain.com:8443/" to access your site every time.

However, a good question: does your ISP also have data caps?

If so, it may be better in the long run to get a business line.

And what ISP are you using?

Thanks again for the reply.  To answer your questions:

My ISP is Telus and I am on their home 50 down 10 up plan but they block port 80 and 443 and a few others.

The RWA auto configuration fails in 2012R2E, i will try the port forwarding on the Actiontec T1200H modem/router but I think they block the ports at the ISP level so nothing comes through to my router so the auto configuration will most likely never work with the free domain and dns from microsoft built into 2012R2E, which is a downer.  I will try port forwarding 8080 to 80 and 8443 to 443 and see if I can access the server from the www.  Would a dyndns help me?

I probably wont get to try all your suggestions until the weekend.  I will report back what happens.

Snorf

Ouch. And yeah, their business packages are roughly 2x the cost. :(

And no, the dyndns won't really help. It's going to have the same issues, but they also don't include a certificate for the website. This would mean that you you will always see a certificate error when you try to connect to the remote website. And you will not be able to use the remote desktop feature, at all.

So, yes, it is a real downer. :(

If getting this stuff to work is really important, I'd say call your ISP up and see what the pricing would be for your area. And make sure you tell them it's for a home office (it may make a difference for pricing). At the worst, it will only cost you a call, to find out.

1. Are you trying ti migrate the data over, or copy it over. If you're just trying to migrate, then check out this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5463715

(this is meant for WHS2011 but very much applies to Server Essentials).

This does work in Server Essentials. The only thing I had to do was change the drive letter to match what I was running before so that the applications I have running from the pool would work again.

I think your idea of routing 8080 to 80 at the router will work. And yes, you can mess around (add) bindings to the default website in the IIS manager. I just don't know if either will allow you to complete registration. How about connecting to a Mifi or your phone as an access point to get the registration completed, then go back to your home network?

This does work in Server Essentials. The only thing I had to do was change the drive letter to match what I was running before so that the applications I have running from the pool would work again.

Actually, no need to actually do that. While it makes things simplier, the "WSS Troubleshooter" utility will do this for you, as well:

http://dl.covecube.com/WssTroubleshoot/Release/download/Wss.Troubleshoot_2.0.0.1.exe

I think your idea of routing 8080 to 80 at the router will work. And yes, you can mess around (add) bindings to the default website in the IIS manager. I just don't know if either will allow you to complete registration. How about connecting to a Mifi or your phone as an access point to get the registration completed, then go back to your home network?

It may, but I believe the wizard is hard coded to check the 80 and 443 ports for this. 

I could be wrong, as it's been a long while. 

And a MiFi device may have the same issue, depending on the carrier you're using. 

However, even if the wizard errors out, just close it and it should allow you to use the site just fine.

Also, everything is done over HTTPS anyways, so as long as that is working.... you're good to go, mostly.

But if you want HTTP:// working, then it may be worth investing in a business plan.