Access denied \$RECYCLE.....

rtech73

Question

Good afternoon!

I just upgraded my server from Windows 7 to 8.1

I was hoping one of the issues I was having would go away, but it has not.  

I reinstalled the OS (with pool disconnected).   The reappearance of the pool seems to have gone just fine and all files are accessible.   I'm having a problem with OneDrive (the primary reason for the upgrade, but I'll put that in a different post).

When DrivePool is done "checking" the pool I always end up with errors about duplication.    It says that files cannot be duplicated and the files listed are all beginning with \\$RECYCLE... (followed by long strings of characters and eventually ending with file names.   It says access denied.   There is nothing I can seem to do to get this error to go away.   Any ideas?

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Well, I'm glad that the upgrade/reinstall went fine!

As for OneDrive, don't store it on the Pool. The Windows 8 version uses a special sort of file system link (new, it looks like) that isn't currently supported by DrivePool.

As for Recycle Bin files, make sure that the Recycle Bin on the desktop is empty. If it already, then try deleting the recycle bin folder on the pool. You may need to enable "Show Hidden Files", as well as the option to show system files, to be able to see it. From there , you should either a "Recycle Bin" folder, or a "$RECYCLE.BIN" folder. Delete that.

If you have issues deleting it, then you may need to take ownership of the folder and change the permissions. If you need help doing that, then could you open up a ticket at "https://stablebit.com/Contact" and we will help you there (and likely set up a remote support session).

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I think the hardest part so far is FINDING these files!   The recycle bin is empty.   Not sure where do look...

Once I find them, I can probably delete them (I've been resetting permissions on my pool most of the day, I created some problems making and switching accounts trying to get OneDrive to work)...

SO nice to have this resource when you need it!  

In upgrading my server, I found myself having to "take ownership" of the entire pool drive.   The pool is now "Balancing" after switching out a couple of drives, but I have a feeling that this may given me "access" to those files.    If not, I may be back for further ideas!

Yeah, taking ownership of the files may be a good idea when rebuilding the pool. It's pretty much the "end all" for permissions.

However, just make sure you a) replace the child entries when you do this, and B) change the permissions as well (Admins, system and owner with full control, and Users with read and execute). This will ensure that everything is accessible and usable. And should definitely clear up the issues you were seeing.