• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

Basic backup system

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 lee1978

lee1978

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:31 AM

Indeed I also couldn't fit a full rackmount case so I made own also some MDF and a set of brackets and fits perfectly under my staircase

#22 Umfriend

Umfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:22 AM

Oh! That is absolutely great, thanks for the link.

"When temporarily not in use, multiple LackRacks can be stacked in a space-efficient way without disassembly, unlike competing 19" server racks."

"Due to their light weight design, Lackracks will grow to any required size without compromise"

"LackRack Enterprise Edition"

ROFLAO

Edit: Whoever wrote that must be a funny guy/gal (while at the same time being very informative): "If you mount the first item, it is recommended to install it against the table top for good fit. This happens automatically if you have the LackRack upside down, except in zero gravity environments."

I am tempted very much to do this due to that article alone.

#23 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

Customer and Technical Support

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA, USA

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:16 PM

You don't need a rack. I live in an apartment, no space for a full rack, I put it on small bedside table. I might make one of these - https://wiki.eth0.nl...ex.php/LackRack, I looked at smaller racks and they are not cheap at all, would rather spend that money on disks.

Lack Racks are fantastic.   For "full sized" servers (eg, long depths), the Lack Coffee table works fantastically.  In fact, I was using one for a while. 

That said, you can find 12U and 24U (quarter and half height) racks, as well.  Make sure they're not "network racks" though. 

Also, you can find racks for cheap on craigslists, if you live in near a business center.  I got a 42U rack for $50 that way. :)

Or: https://www.racksolu...erver-rack.html

:)

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

Microsoft MVP for Windows Home Server 2009-2012

Lead Moderator for We Got Served

Moderator for Home Server Show

This is my server

Lots of "Other" data on your pool? Read about what it is here.

#24 defcon

defcon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:22 AM

I live in a large Metro area but still don't see anything really cheap. My server is a SuperMicro, it needs ~34" depth so most of the cheap racks don't work. e.g. the rack linked above is 29" depth which I doubt will be enough when you add in clearance, cables etc. Then you need to add in rails ($50-75)

What I'd really like is someone to build me a noise isolated rack like the crazy expensive IsoRacks.

#25 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:53 PM

Yeah, rack mount stuff gets pricy, fast.  And yeah, it's loud.

That said, you could always build a nice, enclosed rack yourself.  I've seen people that do that, and you can make it look really nice. :)

But as for noise isolated.... that's yeah... crazy expensive. Racks are pretty expensive normally, and most rack servers are pretty noisy themselves...  So, that's going to be super expensive (like i'd guess in the $2-3k range)

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#26 photoguy

photoguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

If I want to have the potential for 8 3.5" drives, what motherboard would I use?  Most have 4 or 6 sata ports and I believe I need 8.  Any suggestions, or is there a way to expand an MB with 4 or 6 Sata ports?  I may not start out with 8 drives but don't want to get caught short in a year or two.  I would think a MB with 8 Sata ports would be expensive.

#27 Umfriend

Umfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

You could use an HBA card, something like this for instance: https://www.newegg.c...00067-_-Product

I don't know the ins-and-outs but it should give you an additional 8 HDDs over the SATA ports your MB has.

#28 Christopher (Drashna)

Christopher (Drashna)

• Administrators
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:00 PM

You could use an HBA card, something like this for instance: https://www.newegg.c...00067-_-Product

I don't know the ins-and-outs but it should give you an additional 8 HDDs over the SATA ports your MB has.

I'd go for this, actually: 

https://www.newegg.c...=9SIAD5G5JG6318

Not refurb, no need to crossflash, and passes drives straight to the OS. 

If I want to have the potential for 8 3.5" drives, what motherboard would I use?  Most have 4 or 6 sata ports and I believe I need 8.  Any suggestions, or is there a way to expand an MB with 4 or 6 Sata ports?  I may not start out with 8 drives but don't want to get caught short in a year or two.  I would think a MB with 8 Sata ports would be expensive.

Yeah, you need an HBA card to add additional ports. 

I've linked a good card above (LSI 9207-8i) which with a breakout cable, gets you 8 additional ports, SATA III compatible, and more.

Additionally, once you have that, if you need more drives, look into "SAS Expanders". These take a single SAS port, and allow you to hook up 5 more ports (so 20 more drives) or more ...  I use a single SAS card, and expander to hook up almost 30 drives now.  So, it definitely works well. 

Christopher Courtney

aka "Drashna"

This is my server

#29 CyberSkulls

CyberSkulls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

- A downloading client that we'll not discuss.

I'm sorry to quote this, but the way you said it, just cracked me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 photoguy

photoguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:52 AM

Here is a possible Windows Pro 10 Server setup.  Please let me know what you think and any changes you would suggest.  I am open to any suggestions for improvements or changes.  I want to start out with two WD Red 8TB drives and add more as needed.  I would run Drive Pool and have two pools.

I selected the motherboard to have six Sata 6Gb’s ports, one for each potential drive.  The Fractal Design Define R4 case is selected for quiet, cool and to have enough room for the ATX motherboard and six hard drives.

I will shop prices and may find better deals.  I would appreciate thoughts and comments.  I want to start with data and photos.  May move to HTMS but not sure what else, but I need reliability and lots of storage. If I can achieve these goals with less expensive options that would be great.

If this is connected to my Wi-Fi by a cat 6 line, can I then access all the data on the drives by Wi-Fi on my computers?  Any benefit to having Wi-Fi in the server?

Thanks.

Asus Z170-PRO ATX DDR4 NA Motherboard                                                                                                        $149

Intel i5 6500 3.2mghz                                                                                                                                              $189

Fractal Design Define R4 Cases, Black Pearl (FD-CA-DEF-R4-BL)                                                                       $140

Corsair RMx Series™ RM550x — 550 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU                                                                 $110

Crucial 16GB Single DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-17000) DIMM 288-Pin Memory - CT16G4DFD8213                        $126

Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB - M.2 SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-N5E250BW)                                                                                           $108

2-WD Red 8TB $295 each                                                                                                                                       $590

Windows 10 Pro                                                                                                                                                       $199

Total                                                                                                                                                                       $1611

#31 Umfriend

Umfriend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:05 AM

This is a storage / file sharing server, right? Way overpowered. But it will last you for years, YEARS, and you might do other things with it as well.

One thing, I think you selected internal memory consisting of one stick only. You can do this but it is better to have two sticks with half, so 2 x 8GB sticks. Very often, you can find kits or pairs of 2 x 4GB or 2 x 8GB etc. exactly for this reason.

If budget is not really an issue, go for it. Otherwise, you can do far cheaper. For instance, no reason to have a Z170 MB. Why not look at ASUS PRIME B250M-K and comaprables? About $80 I'd think and has what you need I think. An I3-7100 would save tens of dollers. The case is very nice but depending on where you would place it, cooling and sound may not be that much of an issue. It's not like this one is going to use a lot of power anyway. I would consider either a cheap case or a very expensive one. And not sure why 8GB, 4GB might do very well and 8GB definately will (2 x 4GB!). On the PSU I am unsure. It seems overdimensioned and I would think you can get by for some $60.

I am confused about using DP with two pools and (only) two HDDs?

You definately want to connect by cable unless you simply can't. I would not know of any reason to have WiFi- on the Serbver.

• Christopher (Drashna) likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users