• Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Photo

How To: Get SMART data passed on from ESXI 5.1 Host

SMART ESXI VMware virtual windows server 2012

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 otispresley

otispresley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationApex, NC

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

@aron, you will be better off getting support in the VMware forums as we are not ESXi experts here, and this has nothing to do with Stablebit products.  What I do know is that the command you have issued is a list of partitions, so this is one device with 8 partitions on it and is the disk you have ESXi installed on.  It could be that your other disks are not partitioned and formatted yet or your controller is not presenting the disks properly...not really sure.  I see that your controller does appear on the compatibility list, but that doesn't necessarily mean that SMART data is supported for it in the product.

• Ginoliggime, KiaraEvirm and Antoineki like this

#22 Val3ntin

Val3ntin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

Thanks guys - it worked just perfect!

#23 RobbieH

RobbieH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:06 PM

I am missing something here. I had to set up a new machine and trying to map the drives using the easy method, but the steps seem incomplete.

1. In the ESXi Console window, highlight your server
  2. Go to the Configuration tab
  3. Under Software, click Advanced Settings
  4. Click RdmFilter
  5. Uncheck the box for RdmFilter.HbaIsShared
  6. Click OK

Yes, but now that I have this set, how do I add the drives to the VM? I look in the settings of the new VM, but there are no drives to add. 

I think I see the problem... the VMDK files for these drives are still on the SSD I am pulling out, even though I removed them from the VM and deleted the VM from disk. Do I have to delete them from disk (somehow) before I can add the RDMs? These RDMs are on an SSD that is dying on me, which also contaned the VMDK for the VM. I moved the VM to another drive, which seems to be working. I was able to add the existing RDMs, but since they are on the SSD, I'm afraid I am still at risk.

#24 otispresley

otispresley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationApex, NC

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:00 PM

@RobbieH, RDM (Raw Device Mapping) devices are meant to be physical drives, not VMDK files on a drive.  It is meant to be able to take a disk with any format (NTFS, EXT4, etc) and attach it to a VM as-is, so that you can avoid having to reformat the disk as VMFS and thus destroying the existing data on it.  You do give up the ability to take a snapshot of the VM by doing so though.

If you have VMDK files on a failing SSD that you need to get off of there, I would suggest you just do a disk-to-disk copy and get them off as soon as possible.  If the SSD is formatted with VMFS and you need to read it in Windows, then there are several utilities out there that will allow you to do that.  

When you move a VMDK that has RDM disks attached to it, then you will most likely need to delete the RDM disks from the VM settings and then add them back before the VM will boot properly...delete from disk is OK here since these are just files that point to a physical location and will not impact the data on the disks.  I hope this helps!

#25 RobbieH

RobbieH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 05:06 PM

They are physical disks. But when you create a RDM, it creates a VMDK file on a storage resource as a pointer.

Step 3

Now we are going to use the vmkfstools utility to create our RDMís. Remember that a RDM is just another VMDK, but instead of the VMDK pointing to a xxx-flat.vmdk file (which is the actual virtual hard disk), the VMDK points to our physical device. Being as we still need to create this VMDK file we need to save it somewhere. Since we just have the one local datastore, we are going to create the RDM VMDK files in itís root.

Also, I can't copy out these VMDK files, I'm getting errors. And I can't remove the SSD because I get an error that it is in use. 

The main issue is that I can't create the RDM because it is grayed out though. I feel I need to get the SSD out of the system and/or get those VMDK files for the RDMs gone before I can do anything.

#26 otispresley

otispresley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationApex, NC

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:30 PM

Yeah, it sounds like getting those files off the SSD, even just as a backup, is the best course of action until you can replace that disk.

Also, I can't copy out these VMDK files, I'm getting errors. And I can't remove the SSD because I get an error that it is in use. 

The main issue is that I can't create the RDM because it is grayed out though. I feel I need to get the SSD out of the system and/or get those VMDK files for the RDMs gone before I can do anything.

#27 RobbieH

RobbieH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 02:11 PM

Yeah, even that didn't work. I can't figure out why RDM creation is grayed out. About to manually create new VMDK files so that I can add an existing VMDK.

EDIT: Recreating the VMDKs manually fixed the issue. 

#28 otispresley

otispresley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationApex, NC

Posted 27 June 2015 - 03:31 PM

Glad to hear it!

Yeah, even that didn't work. I can't figure out why RDM creation is grayed out. About to manually create new VMDK files so that I can add an existing VMDK.

EDIT: Recreating the VMDKs manually fixed the issue. 

#29 RobbieH

RobbieH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:42 PM

Yeah, I would kind of like to start all over, but all the hours I have put into this...

It wouldn't be too hard really, I boot ESXi off a USB thumb drive, then I just have to add the inventory to the new host...

#30 RobbieH

RobbieH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:29 PM

It is always something fun.

So, I maxed out my boot SSD, and moved my machines to a new SSD. I still don't have the ability to directly create an RDM to my physical drives, but now I can't even create manual VMDKs like I have in the past. I just get the following error:

Failed to create virtual disk: Function not implemented (2490377)

I have no idea what I have done here, but I really want to get these servers back up and running.

Nevermind, I finally remembered what I was doing wrong on creating the RDM's manually. Forgot to put the target volume name in.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SMART, ESXI, VMware, virtual, windows, server, 2012

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)