Same Folder -> Same Disk

Kermit

Question

Hi,

I just set up a new Pool to get rid of Microsoft Storage Space.

Its a new Windows 8.1 install.

I have used all default settings and am just copying 5 TB of old data.

The Disks are filling equally now. However, alle files are scattered over all drives now. So if one drive failes, all data on all drives will be unuasble because some files are missing.

I could use file duplication, but i want to use it only on the most important data because of the space waste. Most data ist not that important.

I understood that i can change the policy so the drives are filled one at a time. But i would like it better if the drives are filled equally.

I want to get as litte data loss from a drive failure as possible.

Is there any way to get Files within the same folder to be on the same drive without managing this by hand for each subfolder ?

The best way would be to specify a folder, like p:\movies.  All subfolders to this folder may be on different diskt, but everything below on the same disk.

So p:\movies\movie1   and p:\movies\movie2  may be on diverent dist, but all files and subfolders below p:\movies\movie1\..... must be on the same dist.

Another possible complete automatic  way would be to specify "A folder whoes contents and subfolders are not bigger than 50 gig must be placed on the same disk"

Is there a way to do this ?

Thanks for yout time !

3 answers to this question

The optional "Ordered File Placement" balancer fills up one disk at a time and tries to keep the contents of a folder on the same disk. This may be what you want.

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

Alternatively, if you don't mind "micro-management", you can use StableBit DrivePool 2.X and it's "File Placement Rules" to force the contents of a folder onto a specific disk.

http://blog.covecube.com/2014/06/stablebit-drivepool-2-1-0-558-release-final/

The last half of the post talks about File Placement, and has a few links to other blog posts that go into more detail about the feature.

Thanks for the message, thats what i thought.

I now went for the DrivePool & Snapraid combination. That really fixes what is left missing in your software.

If you could just expand your interface to integrate the snapraid.exe (and adjust the settings a little) if the user wants parity, it would be near perfect !

Hi the parity debate is an old topic many have requested the feature me included. It is a pain to have to use 3rd party software to achieve what most some of us would like hopefully if enough of us ask Alex May one day add it as an option other than that we are stuck useing other software