headless box stays dark over RDP - will I need to re-install the setup?

p3x-749

Question

Hi Folks,

first things first: sorry I am a windoze noob 

I have one windoze-7-HP/64bit box running completely headless with DrivePool...

BTW: this is the only windoze box in da house  ;)

So far, all my services are managed over the Web.

When I had the need to login into windoze directly, I did use an RDP client, which worked flawlessly up until now.

For some time now, I noticed, that connecting over RDP failed...the client can connect, but then stalls, no screen, no login for credentials from the box  :(

The box is still running and all other services are up and running, but I am getting a bit worried.

Question 1:  are there any tipps&tricks from the windoze cracks out here on how to fix the RDP issue?

Question2:   If I cannot resolve my RDP problem, I'd rather resort to re-install the box from scratch...can I re-apply the DrivePool license as with a new install?

TIA,

p3x-749

10 answers to this question

Do you have the option to connect physical KVM to the system?
If so, that may be the quickest solution.

Aside from that, have you tried "mstsc /admin"? This should log into the "console" session, and may work better.

Alternatively, if possible, maybe VNC may be a good alternative.

And I'm assuming that you've tried to reboot?

ALso:

Have you tried hitting "CTRL+SHIFT+ESC"?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555840

Thanks for suggesting these options...really appreciate the help.

Do you have the option to connect physical KVM to the system?
If so, that may be the quickest solution.

well, yes...if I have to...but at that point I am going to restore if from scratch anyway..its been locked away for years.

Aside from that, have you tried "mstsc /admin"? This should log into the "console" session, and may work better.

Huh?...OK, I'll see what I can do...have to find me a windoze system first...using a linux based RDP client ATM.

Alternatively, if possible, maybe VNC may be a good alternative.

sure...i'll install one next time....as time did advance, so did the clients, I am sure.

And I'm assuming that you've tried to reboot?

Yes, the effect survived a reboot, unfortunately

ALso:

Have you tried hitting "CTRL+SHIFT+ESC"?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555840

Yep...no effect either.

..tried from inside a VM....I get to the login prompt..when entering the credentials, some dialogs pop up very fast, then nothing happens.

How can I debug this?

Aside from letting it sit until it logs in .... 

I'm not sure what exactly is going on. It could be that dread "black screen of death" bug back again (there was a major update recently). 

Do you have remote management turned on for the system? (eg, so you can use Computer Management remotely, to view the event viewer)? If not, then you'd have to be able to actually log in to get a good idea of what is going on.

unfortunately, at this point, if you're not able to log in, you'd either need to use system restore and hope it works .....or reinstall. :(

Thanks again for your support!

Yeah, I've found reference to this BSOD issue with RDP, too...the effect definitely looks similar.

No, there is no remote management ATM...I am trying to find me a kvm-over-ip gear for a small budget.

This is a small desktop box, running as my DVB recorder, up in the attic next to the SAT-dish/switch.

I have windoze auto-update activated...maybe some update killed the video drivers or else....

If I'll have to climb up there, I'll need to pull it downstairs in order to work with it properly and then I'll do a re-install anyways.

...which brings be back to my second question from my first post.

Will I be able to re-apply the DrivePool licence in that case or do I need to take further actions with your support?

As I said, I've seen it before.... and since there was a big fix (SChannel)....

As for remote management, if this is an intel box, try checking this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/56538/how-to-remotely-control-your-pc-even-when-it-crashes/

It depends on your CPU (needs to support vPro/AMT) and the motherboard, but it's worth at least trying.

Otherwise, for the most part, this is done via hardware (requiring the above, or IPMI components on the motherboard). HP has the iLO card, but I'm not sure that will work with "just any" hardware.

As for the license, you'll probably need us to deactivate it. If that is the case, then open a ticket and let us know. In in the meanwhile, use the trial period, so you don't have to wait on us.

...no embedded vPro/IPMI, I am afraid..as the motherboard is "only" this: http://msi.com/product/mb/C847MS-E33.html#hero-overview

It's my DVB recorder, supporting WOL and running with 4 DVB-S2 cards, with a local 3x3TB pool.

Maybe I'll leave it there for some more months (as services are still running fine) and hope another win-update will eventually "fix" it.

Thanks for the info regarding the license...I'll keep that in mind.

That's unfortunately (these features are very nice to have).

Hopefully it will "fix" it. But do you have a backup of the system you can roll back to? If so, that may be the best solution.

Or, if you do hook up KVM to it, see if Safe mode works fine. If it does, then ... I'd say try uninstalling your gfx drivers.

Regards

...backups are not needed, really.

All recordings are stripped from ads and then get stored on my NAS automagically.

The only data that comes with some hassle to reconstruct from scratch is the channel list and sorting of these into programme numbers.

But the idea with kvm is still the best...but because of the space left in the attic, I need some kvm-over-ip gear...I'll be scanning the bay ;-)

Again, many thanks for your support and second thoughts...I really appreciate this!