Remove drive from pool?

thepregnantgod

Question

I have a 24 drive pool.  About 3 days ago, drive 24 just dropped.  I would reboot and it would remain in the pool for about 5 mins then drop again.  Each time I tried to "remove" it via the remove function, it would drop before I could.

So I unplugged the drive, removed it from the pool and started the duplication check.  (Hopefully everything is fine).

In the mean time, I'd like to plug the drive back in even though intermittently and try to get a file print out to compare what was on it vs what I have in the pool (to check duplication).  The problem is that as soon as I plug it in it immediately is added to the pool.  There's some configuration file on the drive that makes it think it's part of the pool.

I'm going to assume it's the root directory but if my suspicions are correct, any amount of serious writing/reading to the drive causes it to drop so creating a new root and moving the contents there would force drop it.  Is there one particular file I can delete that will allow me to read the contents of the drive and keep it separate from the pool?

2 answers to this question

The best method would be to place it into another system. From there, you should be able to read the drive without it being added to a pool (unless you have DrivePool installed on that system as well).

Specifically, there is a hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" folder (where the "xxxx" is a long sequence of letters and numbers called a "GUID"). The actual contents of the pool is located there. As is some very hidden metadata about the pool. 

However, if you're seeing the drive drop out like this, it may mean that the drive's controller (the circuit board on the disk) is dying. And if that is the case, you may see the same behavior on another system as well.

Also, in the event viewer (eventvwr.msc) on the server, you should see a number of "disk" or controller errors that coincide with the dropouts. That may indicate what the issue is.

Regards