File placement issue

Deaddy

Question

Hi all,

first of all an overview of my situation:

RM5OMOPs.jpg c0W2RfZs.jpg

Win 2012 R2, folders in the pool shared on the local network and I don't have enabled file duplication because using Snapraid.

My problem: if I try to copy a 970GB file in any folder of the pool Windows says is not enough space, but showing 2.45TB free!

Djqa9nG.jpg

Drivepool should not automatically move the file to VOL03 (F:\) since it is empty?

Sorry for my BAD English :(

10 answers to this question

Drashna will say but I am going out on a limb here with a suspicion: VOL02 has not reached the threshold (limit of 90% full or less than 100GB free) yet and so DP tries to write it there. It seems as if the threshold parameters are evaluated prior to or excluding the actual file to write.

A dirty workaround might by to set the "Or this much free space" slider to 600 GB, copy the file, and set it back again. Of course, if meanwhile other files are written to the Pool as well they'll end up at VOL3 as well until the slider is back at the original level.

I can understand your English perfectly well.

For the workaround I had thought but I wanted to find a definitive solution in case it happens again in the future.

DP so it is not able to read the size of the file to write and evaluate the free space of the disks for a correct placement?
I hope it's just a problem of the plugin and can be fixed!

Specifically, the issue here is how you have things set up. And this is a bit of a weird bug caused by it.

If you notice the "red" arrows underneath the drives in the pool? These are the "real time placement limiters". This limits where files can be placed, and how the pool calculates free space.

Since it is (most likely) only calculating the F:\ drive for available free space, it is erroring out (as it has ~500GBs).

If you try to copy 400GBs initially, and then the rest later, it should solve the issue. Or use a different tool (such as total commander, or TeraCopy) to move/copy the files over.

However, if you could enable file system logging, attempt to copy the files over (all of them, so it errors out), and then submit the logs, we'll take a look at what exactly is going on.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Unfortunately, the disk that contained the file from 970GB left me forever :( , for now it is impossible to repeat the event.
But then I tried to lower the limiter and copy a 54GB file and has done without errors, DP ignoring the limiter because there was enough space on the disk.
Once finished it correctly
set the limiter of disk E: to 0% and lifted the new limiter of disk F:

My4vDG5.jpg

At this point it seems that the limits are considered only when reached, but DP is not able to prevent in advance that are exceeded.

When will I receive the new disk I recreate the 970GB file and submit the log.

Ah, so the file itself was 970GBs in size?

Yes, a 970GB file image to another hd.

If so, some utilities can be instructed to ignore free space. Have you tried using something like TeraCopy instead of the normal Explorer? 

To be honest I was expecting this approach to DP plugin: 970GB to write > check free space on disc 2 > is not enough > write the file on hd 3.

Otherwise a nearly full disk with any file size happens the same error (eg: set limiter to 50 GB free, missing 55GB to fill, I try to write a 60GB file, disk full error).

But I realize they are special circumstances, I only wanted to see if I had configured incorrectly something or was it a "problem" of DP.