Questions about drivepool and scanner

gambit19

Question

I have 2 hard drives for storage and have them duplicating the files on them. 1 of them has 22 bas sectors while the other drive is healthy. I saw that the drivepool has a scanner plugin that when detected it will evacuate the files from the bad hard drvie to others. My question is i have only 2 hard drives so it cant really evacuate it to another hard drive so its continues on the bad hard drive however does drivepool neglect those bad sectors when reading/writing new info or stops using that hard drive? I was hoping someone could clear how this function works, i feel that the description of it is a bit vague

Also what would you recommend to do on this hard drive? can this be fixed some how? they are 2 samsung hd204ui and samsung doesnt support them no more since i guess seagate took over their hard drives?

1 answer to this question

If you only have the two drives, and EVERYTHING is duplicated, then no, it won't cause the files to move.

As for the bad sectors, I'm not sure if we actively avoid using them.

However, if you manually run a full "chkdsk /r" pass on the drive, it may fix the damaged sectors (as that is specifically what the /r switch does).

As for the disks, do they have any SMART errors? If so, then you may be able to RMA them still. Just head to Seagate's website to do the RMA.