Trying to find a way to get my backups online, but i dont think this is it due to encryption?

klepp0906

Question

So i'd like to get my macrium images into my dropbox.  problem is I dont want to write them to my SSD as theyre huge and the SSD would take a perpetual daily beating plus space there is at a premium.  

I dont want to move my dropbox folder to a spinner as it holds a lot of programs I need the ssd's speed for, plus I have a whole slew of things path'd in using its current location.

this leaves me with something like cloudrive.  I was under the impression I could put this on another disk, and create a separate schedule sending my macrium backups there to be sent to dropbox in case my kids burn my house down.   

the problem is (i think?) im reading about some kind of encryption that clouddrive is doing for reasons.   that means should my house burn down, i cant simply grab the image out of my dropbox without going through clouddrive i presume in order to decrypt it?   

Any way to disable that behavior or am i going to have to find another solution to what im attempting to do? 

2 answers to this question

Well, it's not just due to encryption. Also that CloudDrive stores data on a virtual drive block level and not file level. Means, that you couldn't just download your Macrium image file even without encryption, because it's spread over a lot of files.

So, for your use case, you can create a CloudDrive at your Dropbox with any local drive as local cache drive (e.g. your spinners) - that will work. You can also access your images from another computer in case your kids burn down your house.

BUT, as you said, you will need to install CloudDrive on another computer in order to download, decrypt and assemble your data. CloudDrive is NOT made to have a shared drive in the cloud that's simultaneously used from many computers, in fact, this will corrupt your data. But if you know for sure, that you will never access that drive from your old computer again (because it burned down), you can force attach it from another computer. https://stablebit.com/Support/CloudDrive/Manual?Section=Reattaching your Drive#Force Attaching

As always, make sure your decryption key is not on a post-it in your burned down house, in case. ;)

Btw.: Other services like Google Drive or OwnCloud based ones offer to setup multiple synchronization folders per machine (not just one "D:\Dropbox" like Dropbox), that would also solve your problem.

12 minutes ago, Jonibhoni said:

Well, it's not just due to encryption. Also that CloudDrive stores data on a virtual drive block level and not file level. Means, that you couldn't just download your Macrium image file even without encryption, because it's spread over a lot of files.

So, for your use case, you can create a CloudDrive at your Dropbox with any local drive as local cache drive (e.g. your spinners) - that will work. You can also access your images from another computer in case your kids burn down your house.

BUT, as you said, you will need to install CloudDrive on another computer in order to download, decrypt and assemble your data. CloudDrive is NOT made to have a shared drive in the cloud that's simultaneously used from many computers, in fact, this will corrupt your data. But if you know for sure, that you will never access that drive from your old computer again (because it burned down), you can force attach it from another computer. https://stablebit.com/Support/CloudDrive/Manual?Section=Reattaching your Drive#Force Attaching

As always, make sure your decryption key is not on a post-it in your burned down house, in case. ;)

Btw.: Other services like Google Drive or OwnCloud based ones offer to setup multiple synchronization folders per machine (not just one "D:\Dropbox" like Dropbox), that would also solve your problem.

ah, maybe ill look into another solution then (storage provider wise) purely for the macrium images.  While it seems like a pain (and more overhead running several cloud providers in tandem) it also seems cumbersome to say, lose my local images (perhaps my pc dies and i build a new one) and have to go to my in laws house -> deactivate my drivepool license (from dead pc) --> install on their pc ---> download image ---> deactivate license ---> uninstall from their pc etc. 

i guess in a catastrophe situation thats all small potatoes though.  just trying to find the most convenient, most sense-making, non cumbersome way to accomplish cloud backups.

i just finished my first snapraid sync and was forced to exclude my macrium images directory due to its ever changing nature with consolidations and purges.  I couldnt risk it torching data on 24 other drives should one go down before a sync but after macrium decides to purge 1TB worth of old backup sets.  (since it has no option to purge to a dir or recycling bin etc) 

anyhow, im digressing.  I appreciate the reply!