Few questions about scanner

klepp0906

Question

All this time i'm keeping a spreadsheet of drive location, serial number, purchase date.  blecgh, its all available in scanner more or less.   Value!

So i'm curious, I give a disk a bay number that is 1:1 with the number on the chassis backplane.   Obviously windows is going to do what it wants when drives initialize so wont be keeping much order there. 

1) What happens if i were to swap drives in my chassis though?  not replace one but simply change location from say Bay 5 to Bay 7.   I assume i'll need to manually update this in scanner or will scanner somehow track this for me?

2) I'm trying to find the best balance between reliability and allowing my drives to spin down.  24 in a chassis is a lot of juice and a lot of heat.  Stablebit stuff is keeping them from sleeping period, ever.  I want to dial in on which one of the trio is the culprit but first i'm trying to get my settings right.  Under SMART the throttle queries option is self explanatory.  How about only query during the work window or if scanning though?   I dont have a work window set so I assume that part is null?  So only if scanning applies.   Does this mean when it does a scan of a disk thats the only time it will query SMART?   Will it do it for the entirety of the time its scanning or just at the start of the scan?  Will it query smart on just the disk its scanning, or on all disks?

3) Does scanner only notify if the disk EXCEEDS (not reaches) the maximum temperature?

4) what is the logic as far as scan time goes when set to automatically scan with no work window defined?  I have scanner open right now and nothing is scanning even though I have a dozen disks that have yet to been scanned.   I also have some saying (waiting to scan disk access) which is odd considering its an unpooled unmapped disk with nothing on it.   Also another of the same (unmapped and empty) that says Waiting to scan (bus saturated) meanwhile looking in task manager all my disks are idle for all intents and purposes...

5) scan using background i/o priority.  is this a disk by disk basis?  or does it mean if theres any disk activity on that controller it'll cede scanning?   seems redundant with the "do not interfere with disk access" setting

2 answers to this question

On 2/26/2022 at 5:30 AM, klepp0906 said:

1) What happens if i were to swap drives in my chassis though?  not replace one but simply change location from say Bay 5 to Bay 7.   I assume i'll need to manually update this in scanner or will scanner somehow track this for me?

You will need to manually update the location information. 

2) I'm trying to find the best balance between reliability and allowing my drives to spin down.  24 in a chassis is a lot of juice and a lot of heat.  Stablebit stuff is keeping them from sleeping period, ever.  I want to dial in on which one of the trio is the culprit but first i'm trying to get my settings right.  Under SMART the throttle queries option is self explanatory.  How about only query during the work window or if scanning though?   I dont have a work window set so I assume that part is null?  So only if scanning applies.   Does this mean when it does a scan of a disk thats the only time it will query SMART?   Will it do it for the entirety of the time its scanning or just at the start of the scan?  Will it query smart on just the disk its scanning, or on all disks?

In StableBit DrivePool, disable the bitlocker detection.  That helps from that end. 
https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings

For StableBit Scanner, throttle the SMART queries, as that usually helps. 
https://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=SMART

As for the work window, that's defined in the "general" tab.  So if you don't have a window set, then this setting doesn't do you much good. 

3) Does scanner only notify if the disk EXCEEDS (not reaches) the maximum temperature?

Meets or exceeds it.   Also, there is a threshold setting to.  It will warn you as it approaches that maximum.  (default is for a 15C window)

4) what is the logic as far as scan time goes when set to automatically scan with no work window defined?  I have scanner open right now and nothing is scanning even though I have a dozen disks that have yet to been scanned.   I also have some saying (waiting to scan disk access) which is odd considering its an unpooled unmapped disk with nothing on it.   Also another of the same (unmapped and empty) that says Waiting to scan (bus saturated) meanwhile looking in task manager all my disks are idle for all intents and purposes...

It's one disk per controller.  So if you have multiple controllers, such as onboard, and a controller card, it can scan multiple disks. 

It checks the disks, and see if there are any disks with sections that haven't been scanned in "x" days, with x being the settings for how frequently to scan. 

There are some other factors, such as disk activity, etc. 

5) scan using background i/o priority.  is this a disk by disk basis?  or does it mean if theres any disk activity on that controller it'll cede scanning?   seems redundant with the "do not interfere with disk access" setting

It means that the scanning is done in such a way that any normal activity takes priority over the scans, and may stop the scanning from occurring.   This way, it minimizes the performance impact for the drives, ideally.