Recovery + Large Upload After Windows Shutdown/Restart

igobythisname

Question

I spent a good amount of time reading other similar posts here about CloudDrive running recovery after a shutdown/restart.. other than running Trace and Troubleshooting, I don't feel like I got a grasp on what is going on or how to prevent this, so I'm asking again, for myself (sorry!)

I am running CloudDrive v1.1.7.1391 on Window 11 Pro; I have 2x 60TB drives with Google Drive and a 1TB SSD drive caching both CloudDrives (@ 200GB/ea)

I patiently waited until uploads on both drives completed; I shut down my PC and unplugged all wires for a dust cleaning and hardware removal + installation; i completely unplugged all my drives.

When I fired my PC back up, my CloudDrives didn't immediately appear like they normally do; after some time (~5-10mins) they appeared, I have Unsafe Shutdown notfications and each drive is showing 200GB/each "To upload"-how is this possible when there was nothing uploading when I shutdown?

If shutting down via Windows Shutdown is Unsafe, then what is a 'Safe' shutdown for CloudDrive?

A second question I have is-I assume after uploads are complete and no data on the CloudDrives are being accessed, the cache drive should be empty, but I've only seen my cache drive empty once in the few weeks I've been learning and trying CloudDrive.. is this incorrect? Will the cache drive always be half-full?

Please forgive my ignorance and THANK YOU so much in advance!

3 answers to this question

This issue was why I ultimately abandoned these tools.  I still do not understand why there isn't at least some sort of checkpointing or dirty flags to handle this without a full upload.  I recommend using a modest cache size, or at least reducing the cache size once you've finished an initial upload to a large CD.

If you wanted the large cache for fast local access and you also have DrivePool, you can create a pool with a small cache CloudDrive and a local disk with 2x duplication.  That should allow for fast local access even for things not in the cache.  You could mark specific files to be the 2x and keep fast local access for those while still having manageable cache size for the CD recovery.

I'm pretty sure this will happen to you again.

I have a half dozen different CD implementations and they all have this problem.  My guess is that this is an issue where some MS service decides that CD is being unnecessarily slow during shutdown and just kills the process, regardless.

Since I feel that fighting windows integration issues is often a fool's errand of whack-a-mole, how about a feature that allows the user to just shutdown CD manually (with a medium verbosity log being displayed while this attempted).  This way, we can do a windows shutdown ourselves after CD has successfully taken everything offline.  Or, if there is an issue that is preventing the dismount, we will at least have log errors to share with the dev.