Jump to content
Covecube Inc.
  • 0

Lightroom, really messed up....


Question

Been a while, which is probably a good thing.

Anyway, I've started using Lightroom. I am trying to get it to scan my complete DrivePool drive, Z:\ in this case.

I have 2 physical drives in the laptop and 8 physical drives in an external enclosure. Only the 8 drives in the enclosure are pooled to make Z:\.

I select Z:\ in Lightroom and it starts out all cool and such. But eventually Lightroom starts scanning C:\ and D:\ (the drives in the laptop) for images. 

Does anyone have any idea why Lightroom would scan C:\ and D:\? I tried the Adobe Lightroom community forum and was told to get rid of DrivePool. Like how do you figure that is going to work? It's like telling someone to ditch their Raid setup, quit doing backups, or something like that. Off the cuff for sure.

Anyways, I'm just wondering if there is something I can do to remedy this. I don't think Lightroom should be scanning C:\ or D:\, but it does and I'd like it to not do that. The Lightroom community forum isn't going to be any help. I haven't gone directly to Adobe tech support, I'd rather not. And I think I know what their answer would be anyway.

 

tia,
Monte

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
5 hours ago, Spider99 said:

are the 8 drives mounted to a folder that is on c or d?

and c/d is not a single physical drive thats partitioned - as duel disk laptops are rare

The 8 drives are in a DrivePool, that makes drive Z:\. I don't think they are "mounted" to anything, they are just selected in DrivePool. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how DrivePool works.

 

Yes, it is a dual drive laptop. I spec'd it that way.

thanks

Untitled.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I wonder. If you were to assign a drive letter to one of those 8 drives, say T:\ and then let Lightroom scan T:\, would it then also scan C:\ and D:\? If so, then it really can't be DP related IMHO. It would be even better if you can recreate the issue with a whole other disk, perhaps some USB HDD lying around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 hours ago, Umfriend said:

I wonder. If you were to assign a drive letter to one of those 8 drives, say T:\ and then let Lightroom scan T:\, would it then also scan C:\ and D:\? If so, then it really can't be DP related IMHO. It would be even better if you can recreate the issue with a whole other disk, perhaps some USB HDD lying around.

All of the drives already have drive letters. They are all visible in File Explorer as shown in the pic. The PoolPart is hidden and for the most part there aren't any other files or folders on those drives. C: and D: are the 2 drives in the laptop. Z: is the DrivePool. Everything else are the pooled drives.

Untitled.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks. I tried to guess at your meaning. I changed one PoolPart from hidden to not hidden. At least I started to. I was going to let Lightroom scan it once unhidden. It was going to take hours to change, so I cancelled it. Now it's going to take hours to change it back to hidden.

Anyway, all of the drives are visible with drive letters. So I guess I'm not sure what you were trying to have me do.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

ok you dont have them mounted to a folder (option in windows so they dont appear with drive letter) - so we can scratch that idea

just a guess - but do you have any symlinks or hardlinks set - that might point to the c/d drives that lightroom might see and follow?

If you can add another drive via usb to laptop (not to the pool) and scan that with lightroom does it jump to the c/d drives as well? - if it does its not  a dp issue

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

That last suggestion of Spider99 is what I was trying to accomplish. Instead of having Lightroom scan Z:\, try a scan on M:\ (no need to hide/unhide files). If that also results in Lightroom scanning C:\ and D:\ then it is not DP related (which I can not imagine anyway) because direct access to M:\ does not go through DP software. But, as Spider said, a real seperate USB drive would work better to show that the issue can be recreated and is not caused by DP at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
21 hours ago, Spider99 said:

ok you dont have them mounted to a folder (option in windows so they dont appear with drive letter) - so we can scratch that idea

just a guess - but do you have any symlinks or hardlinks set - that might point to the c/d drives that lightroom might see and follow?

If you can add another drive via usb to laptop (not to the pool) and scan that with lightroom does it jump to the c/d drives as well? - if it does its not  a dp issue

No symlinks or hardlinks that I know of.

I could try usb in a few days. I did copy a largish folder from the DrivePool Z: to one of the pooled drives and let Lightroom scan it, it didn't try to scan C: or D:.

I have also copied a large folder to D: and Lightroom scanned that with no problems, not jumping to C: or D:.

So, does it sound like a DP issue?

So when LR scans the DP drive, Z: it jumps to C: and D:, (2) physical drives in the laptop. But when scanning on D: selectively it does fine. Also when scanning on 1 of the pooled drives it does fine.

Make sense?

Thanks for the help

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
16 hours ago, Umfriend said:

That last suggestion of Spider99 is what I was trying to accomplish. Instead of having Lightroom scan Z:\, try a scan on M:\ (no need to hide/unhide files). If that also results in Lightroom scanning C:\ and D:\ then it is not DP related (which I can not imagine anyway) because direct access to M:\ does not go through DP software. But, as Spider said, a real seperate USB drive would work better to show that the issue can be recreated and is not caused by DP at all.

I think my reply to Spider99 covers what you offered here. I didn't use a USB drive, I just copied some folders to other drives, 1 from the pooled drives and D: which is in the laptop itself.

Lightroom didn't jump when scanning those 2 drives.

thx

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 11/18/2020 at 4:05 AM, Umfriend said:

That last suggestion of Spider99 is what I was trying to accomplish. Instead of having Lightroom scan Z:\, try a scan on M:\ (no need to hide/unhide files). If that also results in Lightroom scanning C:\ and D:\ then it is not DP related (which I can not imagine anyway) because direct access to M:\ does not go through DP software. But, as Spider said, a real seperate USB drive would work better to show that the issue can be recreated and is not caused by DP at all.

I copied files to a USB drive and had Lightroom scan it, Lightroom did not jump to C: or D:.

Does it seem like an issue with DP?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 hours ago, Umfriend said:

Or an issue with the combination of the two. You might raise a ticket. I have no clue how one would investigate this, probably would need to recreate the issue first.

Do you know of a log file I can grab that might shed some light on this? I am working of recreating the problem with a small(er) folder from the drivepool.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...