disk failure - replacement questions

alexwick

Question

So i had a disk fail a while ago (3TB)... I really havnt paid to much attention to DP in the last year. it was just running more or less...

Since the drive was failing, i removed it from the pool and it started measuring. (still doing it as i type this)

Now after it's done i plan to add the new drive (8TB). )or should I do that right now?

My question is in there a LOG that I can see somewhere when the last successful file duplication check was?
Just making sure i haven't lost anything. WIth 10TB complete pool it's hard to see by just checking through the files...

ALSO

2nd question. before i always filled up the pool and added 2 same size dirves (2 times 2 TB 2 times 3 TB ) etc.... now i want to replace some older drives, after the one that crashed is reduplicated.

What is the best way to do this? One at a time? (like the older 2TB drives the have at least started as original and / backup) I am afraid if i take more then one out i might take a original AND a backup out at the same time.... but ideally the oldest 2 TB need to be replaced as well.

Thank 

Alex

Edited by alexwick
added 2nd question

1 answer to this question

On 4/16/2020 at 1:50 PM, alexwick said:

Now after it's done i plan to add the new drive (8TB). )or should I do that right now?

Either is fine, but I would put the drive in right away.  That way, if it needs to duplicate data, it will most likely place that on the 8TB drive. 

My question is in there a LOG that I can see somewhere when the last successful file duplication check was?
Just making sure i haven't lost anything. WIth 10TB complete pool it's hard to see by just checking through the files...

The service logs may show that, but StableBit DrivePool doesn't maintain a list of the files in the pool.   There are some guides to do this manually, though. 

2nd question. before i always filled up the pool and added 2 same size dirves (2 times 2 TB 2 times 3 TB ) etc.... now i want to replace some older drives, after the one that crashed is reduplicated.

What is the best way to do this? One at a time? (like the older 2TB drives the have at least started as original and / backup) I am afraid if i take more then one out i might take a original AND a backup out at the same time.... but ideally the oldest 2 TB need to be replaced as well.

As long as you're removing the drive via the UI first, there should be absolutely no issues.   
https://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Removing a Drive from the Pool

Remove a drive, pull it, replace it and add it to the pool.