Jump to content
Covecube Inc.
  • 0
robertallbright

Question about DRM

Question

Interested in drivepool to move all my assorted hdds formatted as ntfs into one "pool" for various reasons

1- ok with losing 1 hdd of information, but not all information like a raid0 or raid5 array could have

2- not ok with losing performance with raid5 array

3- want to create something interoperable between linux and windows (not sure if this will work)

 

However, this data is important to me. I have a couple questions:

 

1- Lets say stablebit moves onto another something else. Would the software be unable to call home to check activations? Its ok if I cannot use the software as long as I can acsess my data.

2- If I reinstall windows can I see the drives immediatally or do I need to install stablebit

3- would interoperatability with linux work?

What is the best case for 12x12tb hdds for linux interoperability and a single pool? I need good performance for mediastreaming

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 answer to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
On 9/28/2019 at 10:35 PM, robertallbright said:

1- ok with losing 1 hdd of information, but not all information like a raid0 or raid5 array could have

You can lose any number of drives, and any remaining drives will still keep their data in the pool.   

However, any data that is just on the failed drives will no longer be in the pool. 

On 9/28/2019 at 10:35 PM, robertallbright said:

2- not ok with losing performance with raid5 array

For the most part, it's straight pass through, basically. So you should see performance equal to the underlying disk's performance. 

On 9/28/2019 at 10:35 PM, robertallbright said:

3- want to create something interoperable between linux and windows (not sure if this will work)

Well, it uses normal NTFS volumes, and places the files in hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" folders.  

As for accessing over the network, you can use the HaneWin NFS Server.

On 9/28/2019 at 10:35 PM, robertallbright said:

1- Lets say stablebit moves onto another something else. Would the software be unable to call home to check activations? Its ok if I cannot use the software as long as I can acsess my data.

Well, as long as we're open, we'll support the software. 

However, if we closed our doors, the plan basically would be to remove the licensing components from the software and release them.  That way, you could use the and there would be no phoning home.  

Also, even without a license, our software will still work. This applies to the software right now, as is.  The pool would go into a semi-read only mode, but you'd still be able to read data from the pool, without any issues. 

On 9/28/2019 at 10:35 PM, robertallbright said:

2- If I reinstall windows can I see the drives immediatally or do I need to install stablebit

Either.  As above, the files are stored in hidden PoolPart folders, so you could access them that way.   But ideally, you'd want/need to install StableBit DrivePool. Once it's installed, it will look for pooled drives and automatically rebuild the pool with the available drives. 

On 9/28/2019 at 10:35 PM, robertallbright said:

3- would interoperatability with linux work?

This depends on what you mean.  Linux supports Samba/SMB/CIFS (windows file shares), and there are some NFS servers that would work well with linux.  

So over the network, no issues, at all. 

On 9/28/2019 at 10:35 PM, robertallbright said:

What is the best case for 12x12tb hdds for linux interoperability and a single pool? I need good performance for mediastreaming

You mean like a system case? 
If so, a rackmount server chassis will probably be your best bet, actually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...