Writing to CloudDrive is slower than expected

steffenmand

Question

Hi,

I was wondering what impacts the write speed to the disks. I've been upgrading some cache servers lately (although i couldn't software raid them :( ) and are able to transfer at around 500 MB/s normally to the disk (NVMe PCIe disk)

However, when mounting a drive and transferring to that drive, i get a maximum of 50 MB/s.

Could it be the encryption slowing it down ? and how do i figure out the bottleneck ? (HDD is far from fully used and CPU doesn't seem to be anywhere near to 100%)

I want to upgrade the hardware appropriately, but need to make sure what is the issue to purchase correctly!

I know the CPU's are a bit old atm. (2 x X5570) and will be upgrading soon to 4 x E7-4860v2

Anything else i can do to speed it up?

2 answers to this question

I've had the same performance hit since I started using Cloud Drive. Only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with the storage controller, because when I moved to an H300 (IT fw) I started getting about 10MB/s faster writes to the cache drive.

3 hours ago, Digmarx said:

I've had the same performance hit since I started using Cloud Drive. Only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with the storage controller, because when I moved to an H300 (IT fw) I started getting about 10MB/s faster writes to the cache drive.

You are thinking the raid controller is the issue ?

This both happens on a raid or on a standalone pcie nvme card though