2 pools - best setup method?

TeleFragger

ok so I now have a 10gb network and I can saturate the setup I have...

I had a pool with 3x 2tb and 2x 4tb - sata drives. All WD Blacks...

I added an ssd cache and installed the optimizer and I guess it works for copying files TO the pool. However I do a lot of retrievals and just ordered 2x 6-2.5 hot swap bays. first setup I bought didn't like and returning.. second one will be here in 4 days... so I have some time.

new pool will be 

12x 500gb crucial ssd - Pool 1 (6tb)

2x 4tb and 2x 2tb (for now) wd black and 500gb ssd optimizer - pool 2 (12tb)

my thinking is... I don't retrieve much but when I do, I want it fast... so keep software and iso here and a robocopy job to copy over to pool 2 so it can replicate.

does this sound overthought?

I have a server 2016 with essentials role that I am using right now with ssd optimizer and mess of wd black drives and has been great.

just setup a new box running server 2019 ( essentials role is gone and that sucks) / stablebit drive pool / 2x hp h220 sas controllers (to handle the 12x 2.5 drives) and room for growth.

thoughts?

I am not exactly sure what you want to accomplish. Do you want duplication and fast reads? You might want to consider using hierarchical pools, something like:

Pool A: 12 x 500GB SSD
Pool B: 2x4TB + 2x2TB + 1x 500GB SSD
Pool C: Pool A + Pool B

I would think that writes go fast (Pool A SSD only, Pool B uses the SSD Cache) and that reads go fast as well as they would read from Pool A effectively (even if the request goes out to Pool C).

The downside is that you can only store about 6TB duplicated.