Lost Drive and License Issues

Dizzy

Question

I made the mistake of allowing Windows to update last night.  When I got up this morning one of my disks said it was missing from my Drivepool.  I had no previous issues or errors with this drive.  I tried to bring up Scanner but it said I needed to enter a license.  I entered my license code and it said it was accepted, but didn't change.  I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do about the license.  

I noted that both Drivepool and Scanner have updates, but I didn't get any prompt to download/install updates or anything.

As for the drive, it looks like the partition info is corrupt.  I can mount it on another machine, but it want's to initialize it, but it doesn't work.  A couple drive utils  report a bunch of read errors, but can't find a partition to try to recover files from.

5 answers to this question

Recurva was the first thing I tried actually :)  It can't do anything since it can't detect any partitions on the drive.

Seagate's support was a COMPLETE joke!  3 diff techs, and clearly none of them bothered to read the detailed information that I gave them.  I've noticed a SERIOUS decline in their support since they started their data recovery services.  Every agent just gave me some BS answer that was completely not helpful, and in one case had absolutely nothing to do with my issue, and then spent the next three paragraphs pushing their data services.  It was clearly copy/paste, but I don't think HDD manufacturers should be allowed to do data services.  It just encourages them to make cheaper products with higher failure rates and then push the customers to their data services.  :( :( :(

HDD is toast.

Tried TestDisk and several other utilities with no success.

I can't remember for sure, but I believe I deleted several files for Scanner, and then registered it again and it worked.  It only worked for a couple weeks though.

What is going on?  Why does it keep doing that?  I've already had one drive die very suddenly, and I'm afraid without Scanner running like it should be, that it will happen again.