Jump to content
Covecube Inc.
  • 0
Soaringswine

Clouddrive ReFS support is bad, fifth lost ReFS drive this year

Question

Clouddrive seems to have major issues with ReFS drives, I just lost my fifth drive (have lost something close to 50 TB from this happening this year) that only shows as RAW - even with upload verification enabled.

Going to move back to NTFS, at least you can run chkdsk on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
8 hours ago, Soaringswine said:

Clouddrive seems to have major issues with ReFS drives, I just lost my fifth drive (have lost something close to 50 TB from this happening this year) that only shows as RAW - even with upload verification enabled.

Going to move back to NTFS, at least you can run chkdsk on that.

That's actually a problem with ReFS and not CloudDrive. See the many examples on google: https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+10+reFS+RAW&oq=windows+10+reFS+RAW&aqs=chrome..69i57.7817j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The fall creators update even removed support for ReFS because of the stability issues, signalling that even MS doesn't necessarily see it as an NTFS successor any longer. At least not any time in the near future. 

Going with NTFS is advisable, for now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 12/6/2018 at 11:56 PM, srcrist said:

That's actually a problem with ReFS and not CloudDrive. See the many examples on google: https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+10+reFS+RAW&oq=windows+10+reFS+RAW&aqs=chrome..69i57.7817j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The fall creators update even removed support for ReFS because of the stability issues, signalling that even MS doesn't necessarily see it as an NTFS successor any longer. At least not any time in the near future. 

Going with NTFS is advisable, for now. 

heh.. every link was already purple on that search for me as I've been trying to figure out a cause over the year.. only recourse is to use logical data recovery software like R-Studio, but even then, good luck getting it to fully scan a 200 TB ReFS partition hosted on a cloud service without crashing or taking 3 months..

 

honestly, ReFS support could work with Clouddrives better if you utilized Storage Spaces underneath with Integrity Streams enabled, but then I have no idea how the Clouddrive cache would handle that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 12/9/2018 at 1:22 PM, Soaringswine said:

heh.. every link was already purple on that search for me as I've been trying to figure out a cause over the year..

haha, ... /cries

Yeah, that's disappointing.  :(

I know that Alex was planning on looking at better supporting ReFS in StableBit CloudDrive. And if he's able to, maybe find a way to better recover it. But that's a long shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 12/9/2018 at 4:22 PM, Soaringswine said:

heh.. every link was already purple on that search for me as I've been trying to figure out a cause over the year.. only recourse is to use logical data recovery software like R-Studio, but even then, good luck getting it to fully scan a 200 TB ReFS partition hosted on a cloud service without crashing or taking 3 months..

 

honestly, ReFS support could work with Clouddrives better if you utilized Storage Spaces underneath with Integrity Streams enabled, but then I have no idea how the Clouddrive cache would handle that.

Count me among the unfortunate souls who also lost a drive. I had a 90TB ReFS volume and a windows update killed it over two years ago, and I ditched it right then. My solution is to use 55TB NTFS volumes (so that they stay below the 60TB limit for chkdsk). I have one large CloudDrive divided up into 55TB partitions, and then I combine them with DrivePool into one unified storage pool. The end effect is identical to having one giant drive, but I can repair volumes individually. I've been using this setup for a few years now without issue. Never had any unresolvable file corruption at all. 

 

I just expand my CloudDrive and add another 55TB volume when and if I need more space. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...