Moved client Backup folder to new larger drive, now shows as missing

dslabbekoorn

Question

I got a new 3TB drive to use as a backup drive that's standing alone outside the pool as my setup with WSE2012 won't work when the client backup folder is in the pool for some reason.  My client backup folder was on a 2TB usb drive and worked there flawlessly until I ran out of space.  I now have a new Seagate 3TB internal to take it's place.  I copied over all of the data on the old 2TB drive to the new 3TB drive and changed the registry setting, as provided by Drasha from my earlier thread, to point the server at the new location.  The clients are backing up nicely and have had no problems seeing and using the new drive.  My problem is that the client computer backup folder shows as missing in the dashboard.  I am unsure what to do here, and thought I'd stop and ask before doing anything stupid (first time for everything) How can I painlessly fix this? I had no problem like this when I copied all to a pool folder and made the registry change (and back again when it wouldn't work in the pool) don't know why it's showing as missing now.  Backups seem to be working ok now, I just worry about having to restore with WSE2012 thinking there is a missing folder.  By the way, each clients backup history pops right up fine, no problem there.  New weird bug to track down for the new year. All help is greatly appreciated.

Dave

3 answers to this question

Try setting up the backups via "Windows Server Backup" or "wbadmin.msc". That works better, in my experience.

As for the backup, it should let you de-select the Client Backup Database.  It's not technically a critical role location, so it shouldn't be mandatory.

And the folder for the Client Backup Database is missing in the dashboard? That's ... odd.  Does it give you the option to "Recreate"?

Yes it does Drasha.  And it continues to back up the clients to the new location just fine, something didn't get updated when I changed the value in the registry regarding location of the pool. I can also view the folder properties which show as 0 bytes as it's not there.  Would the "recreate the folder" option let me specify where the folder is, that would work fine if it does.  I don't want to press that button until I'm sure in case there is no way to back out if somethings not right.

Registry key changed:

As for how the server knows where... Check out the registry. "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\Backup", and check the "DatabaseName" string. That's the value it uses to locate the database. IIRC.

Yes, the "Recreate" option lets you specify the location. And it lets you cancel out of it, if you change your mind. In fact, it's pretty much the "add share" wizard, actually.

As for that registry key, that's where the dashboard looks for the string as well. So it should show up.  Though, you may need to restart the server to get it to show up right (or restart the client backup provider, *and* the Windows Server Storage Provider services. After that, if it's still not showing up right....