Fill up slow drives 100% while keeping fast ones at the same percentage

The_Saver

Question

Hello, this is my first post here.

As the title suggests, I want to fill up my slow drives to 100% while keeping fast drives at the same percentage.

I have an old 320 GB disk and three Seagate Archive 8 TB disks which are slow at writing data. Therefore I only want them to be used to read data from.

I also have a couple of Segate Ironwolf 10 TB and 12 TB disks which are way faster at writing data and I would like those to be filled up to the same percentage.

Also, I have one folder with 2x duplication and three folders with 3x duplication. What settings do I need to set, if this is even possible?

My last question is in regards to a future SSD upgrade where I want it to be used to quickly save new files before moving them to the Ironwolf disks. Is this also possible in conjunction with the above?

Thank you for taking your time reading this.

5 answers to this question

Well, if you're comfortable coding: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_-_Develop_Balancing_Plugins

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27825

Also, you could use the File Placement rules to accomplish this, as well: 

If you've created file placement rules that are attempting to keep files on drives that are designated as SSDs,
  then you should disable the "Unless a drive is being emptied" option, under the "File placement settings" category, 
  on the "General" tab. Otherwise, your File Placement rules will not be respected by this plugin (because it is 
  emptying the SSD drives).

Unfortunately I do not have the skills nor the time to learn to code it.

I actually searched through the forums in the hope that it was already possible without any luck. So I decided to create this user account and make this thread.

So you created this as an issue that some guy called Alex will develop, or what is the link supposed to mean? (The website is bare and seems to be missing some information if I am not mistaken)

I have not created any file placement rules. I have tried to look through these settings:image.thumb.png.0b2a65fcb1de9ea821d81e5388db6a19.png

But I still can't find "File placement settings" and a "General" tab. Do you mind guiding me in the right direction?

It's the "Settings" tab, at the top: 
http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Balancing Settings#File Placement Settings

And I totally understand about the coding stuff.  That's why I flagged it as a request already, so that Alex (the Developer) can either expand the SSD Optimizer Balancer Plugin, or code a new one, maybe.