Scanner reports bad sectors but HGST tools do not

jjross

Question

My scanner started to report some unreadable sectors on a drive and then I started to get a very high number of read errors on the same drive in my Windows Event Log.   After a reboot the system came up very slowly and then was reported as "missing" in drive pool.  I removed the drive (from drive pool and physically) and connected it to another machine to run the HGST Drive Tool (WinDFT) on the drive before I send it for RMA.  When I ran the tool I did a full surface scan and the tool reports the drive as having no errors.

Is it possible the scanner was wrong?  Could this have been a cable or controller issue? Something on the PC itself?  Or is is possible that the HGST tool is less conservative in what it considers to be a "good" drive.  I don't want to put the disk back into my server just to have a problem again.  Keep in mind that this disk is under a year old. 

4 answers to this question

It's always possible.  

If the drive shows up still, in StableBit Scanner, right click on it and run a "burst test".  That stress tests the connection, but not the disk itself and may be good for identifying communication issues. 

Also, it may be the way it's being scanned.  The HGST tool is likely scanning via vender self tests, but StableBit Scanner accesses each and every sector via the OS.   So that can cause discreptencies, as well. 

However, given the event viewer logs and Scanner, I think that the HGST tool is wrong.  And I'd RMA the drive, personally. 

One more question!

I have the drive in an external enclosure and I'd like to try to get my data off it before I RMA. What's the best way to do this?  Should I readd it to the pool and then remove it properly (it couldn't evacuate the drive) or is there an easy way to "merge" the files that are on the disk with my pool (keeping the destination files in case of a conflict)?

Copy it into the pool. 

If the data that was on it was in the pool, then it will be in a hidden pool part folder. Copy those contents directly into the pool,  Skip existing files, and problem files.  

(the folder structure under the "PoolPart" folder will be identical to the pool)