External enclosure recommendations

monty77

Hi all,

Since my Synology NAS died and I've had a nightmare getting the data back out of it i'm back to the Stablebit side of the fence as it just seems much simpler in the event of a hardware failure so I've plugged my drives into my Windows 10 'server' using an Orico 5 bay USB 3 enclosure and created my pools.  Unfortunately I've encountered some issues:

- Scanner cannot read SMART info from the drives in the enclosure
- I keep reading on here that USB3.0 isn't suitable for this kind of usage and I should be using eSATA instead

I used the Direct I/O test tool to find out which methods allow comuniction in case that helps:

RYZRoWS.png

..if new hardware is advised what should I be looking for in the way of 5+ bay enclosure and an accompanying card?

Thx!

Yeah, USB can be flaky, and is designed around that, actually (it's specs allow for random disconnects), whereas eSATA and other interfaces are more stable.

That said, if Unsafe Direct I/O works, ... well double check. Click on the ellipse ("...") button and make sure it has a bunch of text here.  If not, then it won't grab SMART data, anyhow.

If it does, then do this: 
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings#Advanced_Settings

and it's the "Unsafe" option in the "DirectIo" section. 

Awesome support as always sir :-)

Flipped that switch and now I see SMART info for the drives at least.  

Rv1mS22.png

..what about the disk names though, they all still show like this:

E2uLOGO.png

Disk details is getting the info it wasn't before (model/serial etc..)

image.png.2de70d2b3bc4f9a9869a78a8fa5f368d.png

Thanks!

Adam

Awesome!

The disk names are probably being "renamed" by the enclosure, so not much we can do here.

Eg, this is probably what shows up in Device manager, as well.

You can change the names in StableBit Scanner by right clicking on the drive and selecting "Disk Settings".  This is a local setting, and would be lost on a new system.