O/S Install/Upgrade

DuncanF

Question

Hi,

I've been playing with DP as an alternate to Storage Spaces on my home server (HP N54L) which runs SVR2012. All works well, much better than storage spaces. Over the weekend I kicked off an upgrade to SVR2012 R2. That failed for various reasons so I did a clean install. After the install I was expecting DP to recognise the drives when I created a DrivePool. Instead it showed "Duplication Inconsistent".

If I've read things right, this *should* work, although the doc I referenced noted moving the license key from the  old install to the new. I'm still using a trial license(s) at the moment, so they were different between the old and new O/S installs. Was this the reason for the failure?

Anyway, I had to do a bare metal restore on the server and am now -reloading the discs from a nearline backup. It's a good test of my backup strategy! I will however be trying the upgrade again now I understand the hardware compatibility issue that the N54L has with SVR2012 R2. An in-situ upgrade will preserve DP for me I know, but if I have to do a clean install? What steps did I miss over the weekend that caused the new DrivePool not to full recognise the previous underlying drives?

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

Were all of the disks present, and properly measured? 

If not, then that would be why.  Both for why the error showed up, and for why the discrepancy. 

When measuring, the software measures the present drives.  If multiple copies show up, they're displayed as duplicates. Otherwise, they're unduplicated. 

The software uses the available drives in this case, as it may not yet be aware of ALL of the disks.

Yes. All three data drives were present.  All I did was re-install the OS on the OS drive. Clean build.

But measured? Not sure. Is this something I have to do or will DP initiate this automatically? Interesting to note that I installed the DP software on the clean build, and on opening the UI it had already added the three data drives. Maybe I should have left it longer to sort itself out.

Is there a "these are the steps to follow when re-installing your OS" doc I can read through?