Optimal settings for dedicated file server

xazz

Question

So I have created a dedicated file server out of an old HP computer, and added DrivePool, DriveScanner and CloudPool. It is going well :-)

Because it's an older PC, I'd like to optimize the performance of DrivePool.

(As I have an SSD, I have already installed SSD Optimizer, disabled real time-duplication, and confirmed that it is working correctly).

What do you think of these settings:

FileBalance_BackgroundIO: FALSE
FileDuplication_BackgroundIO: FALSE
DrivePool_BackgroundTasksPriority: 10

Network I/O Boost: Enabled
Balance immediately, but not more than every 2 hours

Any other performance tweaks?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

well, honestly, I wouldn't recommend disabling the real time duplication.  if the files remain in use, it may cause issues with duplicating them, later on.    Also, it means that there is a delay from when the files are created and when a duplicate copy of them is created. meaning that new files may not actually be protected until 2AM (when a duplication pass will be run).

Additionally, I wouldn't recommend changing the Background IO settings here, either.

The background priority means that it will slow or stop the progress if something else needs the IO.  This means that it prioritizes normal pool access over duplication or balancing.  However, when nothing is happening, then it will run at a higher (normal) priority.

This is the ideal behavior for the software, and shouldn't be changed unless you have a specific reason to do so.

Namely, if you're seeing issues with duplication or balancing happening in a timely manner.  

As for the backgroundTasksPriority, this is the CPU scheduling priority.   For the most part, lower here is fine, so leaving this alone should be fine.

As for the Network I/O Boost, this takes up additional CPU cycles, so if your CPU is older, it may adversely impact performance (though it really depends on the CPU and what all the system is doing). 

And since I'm not sure how old the system is here, I wanted to mention it.  Otherwise, this will prioritize network traffic over local access.

Honestly, there really isn't anything that needs to be optimized, as the default setting should handle the optimizations "dynamically", and the defaults should be very good for most every system.

You're very welcome!

Though, to re-emphasize, if you're using the SSD optimizer and it's having issues moving stuff off of the SSD drive(s) in a timely manner, then it may be a good idea to change things.

First, make sure that it's set to "balance immediately" (though, make sure it's not more often than every 1 hour),  and if that doesn't help, then try disabling the background IO for balancing.