Errors reported by Scanner, but not found by ChkDsk

xazz

Question

Hi

I'm evaluating scanner and disk pool. I have created a file server with six external drives connected by USB.

Scanner has reported for one of my drives: "Damaged"

Hard disk is unable to read 2822530 sectors

It did not complete the scan, because I cancelled it and ran:

chkdsk r: /f

3 answers to this question

The surface scan checks to see if the sector is readable.  CHKDSK looks to see if there is file system damage.  These are not the same thing, and are VERY different.   You can have a disk with a lot of unreadable data, but the file system is still intact.  

In fact, you'd have better luck compare this if you ran "chkdsk R: /b", as this is closer to the surface scan.

That said, in the StableBit Scanner UI, right click on the disk in question and run the "Burst test".  if this comes back with issues, then you may have a controller or cable issue, rather than actual damage. 

But if this comes back clean, the disk is probably having severe problems and should be replaced.  

I forced it to recheck, and the errors seems to have gone away. At this stage, the drive is only 12% checked, and none of the others at all. I expect this is because it is avoiding scanning while DrivePool gets fully balanced and duped for the first time.

Will let you know if I see any other quirks.

If the errors are intermittent, then this may be a communication problem with the drive.  It may be worth running a burst test overnight, and see if that comes back with any issues.

Otherwise, if this continues to occur, let me know.

As for the scanning, by default, it only scans a single disk per controller.  this is to prevent the program from saturating the controller and causing performance issues.